Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
We had the local monthly meeting in Perth with a couple of great presentations. One on cichlids and the other on aquaponics. Some great door prizes. Picked up some good gear plus a tank heater (almost have enough for a new tank, just need to win some space to put it somewhere).

Sadly still haven't won a fish tank yet.

Last night at society meeting was a quiz on cichlids (plus catfish), then a video on African cichlids (Jewel of the Rift I think).

Got 14 out of 30 on quiz which I was really happy with. Must of soaked up some knowledge attending but not far above one member that keeps shrimp (so perhaps should hit the books next time :) ).

Movie was absolutely great. Fantastic photography and went for over an hour at least. Couldn't believe how clear the lake waters were.

Congrats on your heater win from the first post. It would be nice if we had an aquarium group locally. We briefly had a lfs shop in town who's owner was going to run some meetings but the shop closed down after a couple of months so the meetings never eventuated.

Congrats on your heater win from the first post. It would be nice if we had an aquarium group locally. We briefly had a lfs shop in town who's owner was going to run some meetings but the shop closed down after a couple of months so the meetings never eventuated.

Thanks! That's a real shame on the shop closure.

The sponsor shops and society committee are great here.

Another monthly meeting covering planted tanks and some multies for auction after. So very tempted but they went very quickly for sale.

That's a real shame. I think it is a struggle here as well with a decline in fish keeping (perhaps just due to poorer times).

I'm pretty happy with it here. The society is mainly for cichlids but do cover quite a few tropics and it's interesting to see cichlids from breeders presented. For really quite a small group it's very well organised.

Next month is the auction where I really can't buy anything :(

Had the monthly society meeting - didn't really want to win anything at raffle table so picked up 3 nets and some almond teabag leaves (must be careful to not leave on kitchen table). Money raised goes towards cichlids preservation so good cause.

Meeting was on photography and fish bagging which was pretty interesting. Got home bit after 11pm so looking for a coffee this morning.

This month we had a meeting talk on breeding cichlids with a few hand-shot videos of Lake Tanganyika. Quite a good night. Next month an auction! :)

Do you have much trouble getting African cichlids in Australia? I've heard the regulations on fish importation are quite restrictive.

It's pretty doable I think but generally a group buy I believe as costs a bit through quarantine. The Perth society is pretty active on cichlids which I think helps a lot. Anyone just trying to import a few bettas would find it too expensive. Also I believe they do 'destructive testing' on a few fish of each import.

And then, we have state quarantine! Recently saw a post of shrimp from East Australia being destroyed on import into Western Australia. Link below on this new disease apparently.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2017-03-16/what-is-white-spot-disease-in-prawns/8359476

Great talk (although getting home after 11pm kills me lol).

We also raffled off some Tanganyika killifish I think they were, with proceeds back to cichlid preservation on the lakes. Great donation from one member.

The talk itself covered study results from one university trip and was pretty interesting as they looked at species similarities and differences along the lake (plus one that was from wrong lake!). Anyways lot of fun.

Great meeting night where 3 members presented on a cichlid conservation / release trip over to Africa. Bought a painting done by a local over there and tried some African tea (was quite nice!).

Just had the latest meeting. All about fish rooms and where to put those last 20 display tanks :)

Previous meeting was also good. I gave a short preso on algae (grr) and there was one on freshwater rays (some insane prices in tens of thousands!).

Back
Top Bottom