Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Over the Pond - EU & Beyond
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2003, 06:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

My LFS is excellent. Its Kesgrave Tropicals in Suffolk. Friendly knowledgable staff, loads of fish and foods and plants. They'll advise you over the phone and email too. They took back my barbs when they started beating up my angels and let me swap them for phantom tetras. Couldn't ask for more really.

Old 05-23-2003, 07:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Somethingfishy Send a message via Yahoo to Somethingfishy
Hey cat,

Firstly welcome and not being from the Uk you have to excuse the ignorance, but Suffolk is the East of England is it not? Sort of close to the continent?

If so have you ever been to Dartford and Dartford Aquatics? Very cool and a good selection of fish, they have beautiful Angels if that is what you like?

Old 05-24-2003, 10:01 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hiya,
Yes Suffolk is in east England, but not near Dartford, I reckon from where I live Dartford must be about 100 miles. Have you heard of Ipswich? - I'm near there.

I have got a couple of koi angels. Very pretty, mainly white with black, yellow and pink markings. They've got silvery patches on their bodies as well, which the LFS told me is a sign of maturity. They are a pair, and have produced a few batches of eggs, but between the angels and my other fish the eggs get eaten up pretty quick.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Somethingfishy Send a message via Yahoo to Somethingfishy
Cool I had Angels when I first started and mine also had a couple of batches of eggs, but they never looked after them so I lost them all.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:27 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Vicshaw Send a message via MSN to Vicshaw
Somefish sorry about the late reply. I only just realised you answered my post, but Boston is in Lncolnshire in the east midlands. People often get it mistaken with Boston in America!
Old 09-20-2005, 01:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to KittyKat Send a message via MSN to KittyKat Send a message via Yahoo to KittyKat
Oxford area:

- Tesco garden centre (i'm not joking!), Abingdon: cheap, relatively clean, but would not buy fish there. Staff don't know much about fish.

- Millets Farm garden centre: OK, haven't been there in a while... will post an update

- Notcuts garden centre: clean, cheap angels. not a large choice. last time i was there staff were a bit *****y, usually OK though

- The Goldfish Bowl: DON'T BUY THERE! good choice, but for the last few months i've been seeing DEAD FISH in their tanks! bettas DO NOT receive regular water changes and many of the tanks are overstocked. Also very expensive, i have seen mark ups of over 600% there. short staffed.

- Maidenhead Aquatics: A* v. clean, new (opened in 2005), not too expensive although can find cheaper. helpful staff who know what they are doing. will order in most fish if they do not have them at the time. good range of stock, but don't do marine.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hey I use Mastin Moor too, and I was using Dobbies in Barlborough but I think they gave me white spot (I got it after buying a fish from them), so not sure I will be using them anymore. If anyone is near Sheffield, the Asda in Handsworth .... well up the road from there is a really decent LFS called Fishinc and it's awesome -- that's where I got my Mudskippers from and several of my Puffer fish. If anyone wants to see lots of fish, that's the place. They have loads of Cichlids too, although I don't care for them, I know they are a very popular type of fish with many people. I also visit the local Maidenhead Aquatics over at the Dukeries, but their fish tend to be expensive, but they are good if I need something quick.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi, I have a very good LFS in Durham...(Fish Alive).With being new to tropical fish keeping i seek advice from any1 or anywhere i can and i have to say that the advice i get from Fish Alive is fantastic..They always have a good stock of all species, tanks and accessories and are always there to give advice. I once wanted a fish, didnt realise that some cant live with others, they wouldnt let me buy it!! lol...if i had it would have eaten my others. Sometimes i visit Pets At Home, i dont get the same feeling of help as i get at Fish Alive, great range again except a Pets At Home i visited recently in Durham and was absolutly apalled at the state of the tanks..Rotten!!! dead fish, tanks were disgusting. I bought 2 Bolivian rams because i felt sorry for them, in fact i wanted to buy the lot!! I mentioned the state of the place to a different Pets At Home and when i re-visited the Durham store i noticed a big improvement..Lets hope they keep it up for the sake of the lil fish..
Old 12-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

In Shetland I use the only place one can; Da Fish Bowl.

It's actually quite good. One full wall of tanks, various others dotted about, and a 5ft Lake Malawi Chichid tank too. The bloke always offers useful, free advice if asked and his prices on heaters at least quite low. Sometimes there's no prices on the fish tanks so you don't know how much they are.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to Chris182
I use pets at home for certain things and have bought a few fish from there. Some have died and others have done really well so far.

I also use blagdon water centre and cadburys water centre where they have a huge selection in both.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Tags
local fish store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com