your local fish store(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well other than petco, and if I drive a little ways, petsmart, there's a place called fin and feather . But it's not my favorite place to go. Hey I got a cabin in new Hampshire and there's a pet store called west Lebanon pet store? Something like that. THAT'S AMAZING it's the coolest place you can buy fish from

Pets at home would be my nearest store I only rarely buy fish from here , I just get fish supplies :) I buy all my fish from a large fish store in Lisburn ( N.Ireland )

totalbeginner said:
i have two fish stores locally, the differences between them are like night and day, the one i use (pets at home, dundee branch) has a limited stock but the tanks are always crystal clear, i am on holiday from work this week so i have been in a few mornings and leaned the they do daily water tests and i have never seen a dead fish. The store i don't use (house of pisces, strathmartine road, dundee) is a local business with a massive range of stock, but, there tanks are disgusting ( i am keeping this to total fact only, seen it with own eyes) lots of them have green algae on the glass(i'm not just on about a tinge, actual growths), there were a few floaters in some tanks too, plus i saw 6 4" angelfish in a tank approx 3-4gal, not nice staff are good in both though. house of pisces has a great range of tanks, all brand new,

What are your LFS like?? good/bad/ugly?

I had a pets at home about 200yards from my house that had a dedicated aquatic centre, about a week after I moved in they got rid of the aquatic centre and now only have freshwater and cold water fish.... :(

Thankfully theres a local garden centre near by that's excellent and maidenhead aquatics in ear buy in st Albans, unfortunately I don't yet have a car. :(

dclark said:
I had a pets at home about 200yards from my house that had a dedicated aquatic centre, about a week after I moved in they got rid of the aquatic centre and now only have freshwater and cold water fish.... :(

Thankfully theres a local garden centre near by that's excellent and maidenhead aquatics in ear buy in st Albans, unfortunately I don't yet have a car. :(

I agree, the Maidenhead aquatics by me is also very good. They know me very well and always have good talks about fish. They give me discount for some unknown reason. Probably because I'm their best customer lol!

I live in Surrey and avoid Pets at Home at all costs.
I go to Maidenhead aquatics in Farnham and sometimes Guildford and Reading too as its so big. The staff are great and genuinely care about the fish and what they do!

My maidenhead is like that too, they,ll even tell you if the fish you want is compatible with your stock. Would,nt go anywhere else :)

I agree with Grant R. You get different advice from whomever you talk to. The important thing is to learn the basics as they are the same. Its a balancing act to mintain proper water conditions. You learn as you go. The best thing is to go slow and adjust as needed. Something I am working on. Anyway my local fish stores, Natural World Aquariums, is fantastic. They really help you out and keep great tanks. They keep minimal saltwater stock to povide proper care for each fish. They have alot more freshwater fish available just because they are easier to care for in larger quantities. However they will bring in any saltwater fish you want and they wont release them to you until they feel like they are healthy and ready to go home with you. The other lfs is Rivers and Reefs. They keep fish well, but are less personal. They will sell you anything, anytime. They give advice if asked. Very minimal stock on hand. Both stores are right next to eachother whichis funny. I also have a Pet Smart store in town but I never buy any fish from a large chain store. They medicate all their tanks and the fish will destroy your home tank environment. So i do all my fish business with natural world aquariums. They are also available 24 hours a day to call if you have a question, concern, or emergency. Its run by a husband and wife. Their great!

Grant R said:
I use a local shop in my town, 'Maidenhead Aquatics'. They have shops up & down the country and it just so happens that the largest one is in my town. I'm always quite impressed with the staff knowledge and variety / condition of fish.

http://www.FishKeeper.co.uk is their website.

St Albans?

I go to maidenhead aquatics aswell got everything I need from there. Or sometimes I go to beadal aquatics in leagrave when I can get my friend to drop me off in maidenhead. They really help me when I got my new fighter fish and it wasn't eating. They gave me something else to fed my fighter fish.

PWattwood said:
I live in Surrey and avoid Pets at Home at all costs.
I go to Maidenhead aquatics in Farnham and sometimes Guildford and Reading too as its so big. The staff are great and genuinely care about the fish and what they do!

you should try Lynchford aquatics in north camp it's a lot better than the Farnham branch of maidenhead

Back
Top Bottom