Any Newfoundlanders out there

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandj1

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wondering if there are any other Newfies here on AA

Sent from my XT1032 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am but I live in Alberta

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cool!! I was beginning to think no one else from the province used the forum, its awesome there are a few of us here.

Do you find it hard to get the fish you're looking for here?

20g 6 black neon tetras

Well depending on what I am looking for the nearest lfs to me is 45 mins away but I've found cool fish there. Other than that I've found the only other places to get what your looking for is in St. John's

Oh and BTW welcome to the forum, you can learn a lot really quickly here and the people are nice too.

I have learned a lot since I joined! More than I learned in the last two years doing it on my own.

I am slowly cycling my 20g tank now with 6 black neon tetras, and I'm trying to decide what to get as a center piece fish.

20g 6 black neon tetras

I know. I am still a little self conscious about the questions I ask on here but hey never know the answers if you don't ask the questions. BTW where do you get your fish from I noticed in another thread you posted what you are thinking of adding to your tank and I was wondering where you get your fish if you end up getting rams because I have only seen them in one place and that was pet city in St. John's.

They have rams at tropical marine pets up off stavanger. They don't always have them, but will order some in for me when I'm ready for them. Apparently Aquarium 101 is also good, but I haven't been in there yet. It helps to live in town.

I won't be ready for rams until the tank is fully cycled, I can't decide for sure that is the way to go (probably is what I will end up doing).

20g 6 black neon tetras

Cool. I've been to tropical marine before, a friend spoke highly of them so I had to check em out

They're awesome! They will order in stuff you want. And they do free water chem testing, and it's not those strip things, it's the drops.

They actually know what they're talking about, so I've become loyal :)

20g 6 black neon tetras

Oh I know what you mean my lfs is also a pet supply store and carries small animals, birds, and now lizards and other crawlers as well as fish. But they know quite a bit, the owner goes to quite a few shows etc. getting new info and ideas for other fish to get in and he's also an aquarist so they try and train their staff to be knowledgeable about all the fish and critters that they carry, I've stocked my 20g and my 3g through them, and have restocked my 30g African tank through them as well (first initial stock was from pet smart and had issues right away but I think that was also due to the 3 hr plus car drive and the fact the fish were juvies and the tank wasn't cycled so I had one die over night and yes after a year I have my jewel left from pet smart everyone else is from my lfs or born in my tank)

It's useful to talk to people who are actually fish people, so they actually know what they are doing. I have gotten such bad advice at chain stores (not every piece of advice was bad, but a lot was). I like the store I use now :)

I am so impatient for my tank to cycle

20g 6 black neon tetras

Lol patience is a virtue. Well when it comes to advice you came to the right place, as I said the people here are awesome, respectful and paitent, and almost always someone will try and answer your questions.

I posted wondering if there were any other Newfoundlanders here because I thought it would be cool for us all to connect and talk fish (like our local stores, fish we find there etc.) here because fish keepers seem to kinda keep to themselves here in the province and I think we should say hi to each other and help each other out if we can

"here because fish keepers seem to kinda keep to themselves here in the province"

I agree with this statement, I remember when I was in college I kept a goldfish and betta in the same bowl(10 years ago)no heater filter or anything....didn't seem like many connections there to question and pick their brains...I wasn't as lucky as some to have regular access to internet and places like here.

I'm glad to see fellow newfies here :)

I know the feeling and just maybe if this wasn't the case you wouldn't hear that so many get turned away from the hobby and maybe we'd have more places to get our fish and maintenance supplies around and then maybe we'd even see more of a great selection of fish around, and even be able to connect with breeders etc. locally and help each other out.

Because like every one I made my mistakes in this hobby, and I've wished I could connect locally but didn't know any other keepers, and had to figure stuff out the extremely
hard way thru online research, and then finally signing up here, while wishing for a local connection.

Yea it is ridiculous how little resources there are back home for this hobby, I knew no one. And to get anything if you don't live in st.johns is a pain in the butt!

Welcome and hope you find what you need :)

My cories are coming in tomorrow!!! I love my lfs, seriously. I told the owner that i wanted Sterbai cories so he made sure to order them in. :D I'm really excited by this :)

I know that people that don't live near town are disadvantaged trying to get maintenance supplies and fish. So hopefully we can get a nice network going now:)

20g 6 black neon tetras

I agree with you both

Back
Top Bottom