Anyone know where to get pure ammonia in this freezing cold country?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cinnamaldehyde

Aquarium Advice Regular
I think the title is pretty self explanatory. I can't seem to find pure ammonia. Home Depot, Lowe's, Home Hardware, Canadian Tire, nothing.

My sister can order it into her lab, but the smallest size they can order is 5gal... I really don't need 5gal of ammonia!

So yeah, if you bought some in Canada, specifically Alberta, where did you get it?

Have you gone to a fish store? Big ALS, pet smart, pjs pets, maybe at a Walmart super-center.

Ammonia for fishless cycling a new tank? Used filter media from an established tank is much better and faster. If you can't find either of those urine will work too.

You will still need to dose ammonia to feed the essential bacteria. I am currently doing a fish-less cycle on my 33g. I took a couple media cartridge from my 125g. I keep my ammonia level around 4ppm to feed the good bacteria.

Yeah I've looked at the pet stores, even the specialty fish stores, and they look at me like I'm nuts. No word of a lie, staff at 3 different LFS told me to buy a few cheap fish to start my cycle. Ugh.

I am using filter media from another tank, but I still need the ammonia to feed the bacteria, like roydooms said.

I'll keep on looking I guess.

Pure ammonia is a misnomer. You want ammonia that doesn't have any additives, not a bottle of 100% ammonia. RamCichlid Lover posted a picture of the exact same stuff I used to cycle my tank. It's actually only 10% ammonia hydroxide.

Thanks for pointing that out! I know I need 10% ammonia with no additives, so my bad for writing "pure ammonia."

I guess I'll see if my sister can order some into her lab before I try the shrimp deal - I'm just not so sure I want a rotting shrimp in my tank. Anyone want to split a 5gal bucket of ammonia? (JK... sort of)

Do you have a big ALS near you? I'm in Alberta to close to Edmonton... I find it very odd you can't get it from there!! Check big ALS online.

I would check your phonebook for someone that supplies products to the janitorial field. You may even ask someone who works in an office building or hotel where they get their products. Just an idea:).

Do you have a kroger? That's where I found mine. And you can order the ammonia online from aces website. Just a thought.

Well now you have me really curious here :p. Have you tried drug stores? I'm thinking shoppers, london drugs or rexall pharmacy? I'm still surprised big als is no help....just saying :D

Hey, I'd give the drugstores a shot. Just remember, surfactants/scents=no, + lots of bubbles = double no. No surfactants/scents=yes, plus water softener (not required) and moderate air bubbles= yes.

Back
Top Bottom