Calgary shop report

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still haven't been to either store.. Might have to drop in on rememberance day and pick up some poppy cardinals... I have to work downtown on thursday so I will have my van because transit is on sunday service......

Anyone know if any of these places are open on thursday?

Mooooose

Not sure, to be honest...probably, though...Wayne is usually open 11-5 on holidays. Don't forget, Riverfront's 2for1 sale day is this Saturday....

Are you going to any LFS tomorrow?!? BTW~I need to talk to you about sand (things changed since this afternoon).

new petland? Menagerie I will take that message as to suggest I should still pick up sand. :) I will try to hit up the Home Depot tonight...

Last night I went out with my brother and sister in law (they took me to Warren Millers new film at the Jack Singer) So I didn't make it to HD.. On my way to my bro's house I took a peek in Pisces.. man was it nice to go in there when it is quiet.. Not like Sat/sundays....

They had a cool looking fish that I thought Toirtis would like. It was a golden killfish or something like that... Second row south side of tanks 4 or 5 tanks in I think..

And they had 2 tanks of QT cardinals soon to be on sale... I asked the one guys about their sale fish.. (no guarantees) he said they are usually healthy fish that they try to use as an incentive to get people to come look on a regular basis.... He is the guy that spend an hour with me back in June getting me a female ram out of the tank when I bought the 3 back then...

Moooooose

webmoose said:
new petland?
Yeah...down at Southsomething crossing....130 ave and Deerfoot, by McKenzietown...just opened up a week ago.

Menagerie I will take that message as to suggest I should still pick up sand. :) I will try to hit up the Home Depot tonight...

Clever aquarists shop at Consolidated Compressor, just South of Pick-your-Part....$7 for a 90 lb bag of sil7 sand, and it is much more clean and consistant than Target playsand.

They had a cool looking fish that I thought Toirtis would like. It was a golden killfish or something like that... Second row south side of tanks 4 or 5 tanks in I think..

Thanks...I think I know which ones...banded lampeyes and golden wonder killies.

Menagerie said:
$7 for a 90 lb
I don't need that much sand!!!!

So share with someone.:p

OK, hit the new PetLand (a mere 33km from my front door...50th St and 130 Ave SE)...small and unimpressive (especially the prices :roll: ), although they do have some rather sharp-looking 'longfin serpae tetras' that I think I need a half dozen of (they have very long fins with bright white edging)....$5 each, but I can probably do much better via Dennis or Wayne.

Hi Menagerie, I finally managed to join this group successfully. I went through about 4 names before I managed it tho lol
That saulosi I got from you at the TFBA auction is indeed a male ...as you suspected. He has settled in well but in far too interested in my yellow labs :(

Toirtis....What is the address of that consolidated compressor place. I need to pick up some sand. Maybe I will get some of that while I am in calgary for the auction. Is there anything in particular I should ask for...or will they know what i mean when I ask for sil7 sand?

Shelley

ABislander2 said:
Toirtis....What is the address of that consolidated compressor place. I need to pick up some sand. Maybe I will get some of that while I am in calgary for the auction. Is there anything in particular I should ask for...or will they know what i mean when I ask for sil7 sand?

Shelley

It is called "Sil 7", but as far as I am aware, the shop is not open on Sundays. If you like, I could possibly pick up a bag and bring it to the auction for you.

Consolidated Compressor
9516 40 Street Southeast, Calgary, AB T2C2P3
(403) 279-5315

[center:67478a57e7] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, ABislander2!!! :n00b: [/center:67478a57e7]
I'm glad you are with us!
That saulosi I got from you at the TFBA auction is indeed a male ...as you suspected. He has settled in well but in far too interested in my yellow labs
If he is not getting along well in your tank, bring him up to the auction. You can put him in my lot (just let me know, so I can adjust my speadsheet).

I will be in Calgary on Sat so I can pick the sand up...but thanks for the offer. My sister lives in the SE...but I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean she is close to this place. I just hope I will be able to find it...I am not the best at finding my way around the city. I also have some pheasant feathers for you. I hope I remember to bring them.

I am bringing a few plants up...but no livestock. They wouldn't likely survive in a bag for 30 hours or so.
That Saulosi is causing quite a stir in my tank. He has bred with a yellow lab I am pretty sure. Tonight he is very busy digging a hole or something and shimmying around my other labs. He sure is interesting to watch...but I have to do something about him!!!

I am bringing a few plants up...but no livestock. They wouldn't likely survive in a bag for 30 hours or so.
That Saulosi is causing quite a stir in my tank. He has bred with a yellow lab I am pretty sure. Tonight he is very busy digging a hole or something and shimmying around my other labs. He sure is interesting to watch...but I have to do something about him!!!
You can drop him off at our place. We can find room for him for one night.

ABislander2 said:
I will be in Calgary on Sat so I can pick the sand up...but thanks for the offer. My sister lives in the SE...but I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean she is close to this place. I just hope I will be able to find it...I am not the best at finding my way around the city. I also have some pheasant feathers for you. I hope I remember to bring them.

Great, thanks. And I just remembered, the old 'sil7' has been renamed 'sil4' (just checked the bag I bought last month). The shop is pretty easy to find, especially with a map....head south on Barlow past pick-your-part, left at the first set of lights, first right after that, and it is about 300 meters down on your left-hand side.

Menagerie said:
You can drop him off at our place. We can find room for him for one night.

Hey, that is a tempting offer. I am just watching him now...and he has the entire tank inhabitants staying over to one side. He has dug out a big pit on his own half of the tank and is trying to get it on with another yellow lab. I believe one yellow lab is already holding from him. I am going to try and catch him. How can I contact you if I manage to catch him and need to take you up on your offer?

Headed down to Riverfront at 5pm this evening (with the CAS treasurer) to check out livestock in preparation for tomorrow's 2for1 sale. :wink:

Menagerie said:
:roll:
Have a good time--if there are any great plecos--let me know!!

Gold Aquariums has about 10-12 stunning, healthy 2½" goldie (L014) plecos for $25 each!!!! (they are in the pseudo-display tank on the left side of the store.

Back
Top Bottom