Calgary shop report

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will have to risk it and wait until Friday.... Maybe there will be 1 or 2 left... :)

Mooose

Well friday came and went... I made it to 3 stores...

First was tanks.. They have a new employee in addition to the red headed lady.. This lady was really nice and even pretended to listen to me.. :) Picked up some maracyn.. looked at the cories counted about 10 I think... Decided to skip on them for the moment until I figure out the algea / cyano bact thing in the big tank.. I would QT them before putting them in but would feel better knowing they have a place to go... :)

Second was Big Al's picked up to snails.... Hope for a pair even thought they prob. would breed....

Third was Pisces... They have some nice ICK covered gold ram's.. It was great to see they were treating them and did not have them for sale... It was the same tank I saw last time I was there......

Oh I did go to a fourth place that had fish but it didn't really count.. Walmart... The one betta was upside down.. :(

Moose over and out...

I have to go back there and pick up a heater so I didn't feel too rush.. They were so tiny and fragile and have been there for 3 weeks.. Hopefully the longer I wait the stronger ones will still be there.. :)

The other thing that freaked me out was one of the rams in that tank was sick...

Moose

I went to PetLand Shawnessy today (beacuse I was in the neighbourhood)...nothing exciting, except that I bought some bulk spirulina sticks, and in retrospect, I am pretty sure the girl charged me $4.49/kg instead of the listed $4.49/100G.

Also picked up a set of 3 small show tanks (like the sort available for loan for jar shows) for $8 from a fellow aquarist....now I will not be scrambling so much for jar shows. Oh yeah, and someone gave me a nice little 10 gallon. :p

Addenum: While at Petland, I noticed that they will be having a Coventry Hills location opening somethine in the next two weeks....that, along with the new South Trail location, will give them 10 shops in Calgary.

I swear, Calgary must have the highest pet-shop:population ratio in Canada.....just off the top of my head, I can think of 30, not including the food/dry-goods only stores (which probably counts for another 20).

The coventry one is almost walking distance from my house... (a 3 minute drive anyhow) It will be nice to have something close for the emergency meds.. :)

Do they have good opening specials when they open up? Might have to check it out... :)

Moooose

webmoose said:
Do they have good opening specials when they open up?

Usually, yes...if not at the soft-opening, then at the grand opening.

Went to Riverfront today...nothing new. Rahim tells me that Golds has some stunning albino kribs in, though.

OK...otocinclus on for $0.99 each...I bought 3.

Nice Trichogaster leeri (about 2") for $6.99 each
Pygmy cories for $1.99 each
Baby 'lobsters' (about 1 cm) for $1.99 each
Sunset thicklip gouramis (2") for $6.99 each

Nothing else, really....kind of a slow week for them.

How are your lobsters doing? do you have all 7 still? what do you plan to do with them? what kind are they? :)

Well I should throw 25 of these in my work tank with some goats... (oops wrong thread.. :) )

Just got back from Riverfront....

...a big shipment of really nice male bettas (black CTs, DTs, and HMs), and female bettas (VTs, DTs, CTs), some 6"-8" fire eels, and a bunch of shiner minnows that came in with the feeder minnows.

The grand opening of Pet land near my house is opening tomorow.. .99 cent 10 gallon tanks.... :)

Moose

Back
Top Bottom