Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hello from Calgary as well. Which LFS do you recommend for freshwater? New to the hobby but am finding some bad advice at some of these shops...

Old 05-09-2013, 11:27 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Depends what you are looking for. I like Golds myself for freshwater but the selections seem better at big als just take what they tell you and do your own research some of the staff are not as good as others.

Magma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

in Alberta

Hi all name here is Bill. I live in Vulcan which is 60 miles from Calgary, and 60 miles from Lethbridge. Been into salt water since January. I have a 36 gallon bowfront and a 70 gallon tank. The bow front only has a couple of corals in it so far but going to be adding more. I buy all of my items from a company in Lethbridge called Tropic fish importers. Bruce has 40 years experience and has been tons of help to me.
Hope to hear from others in my area.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Does anyone in the Edmonton area know of any good places to find driftwood?
Old 07-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Howdy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing View Post
Does anyone in the Edmonton area know of any good places to find driftwood?
Hey all. Albertan here. I have found it basically impossible to find good african cichlids online. I was so excited when I thought that I could order fish from livefishdirect. It was painful when I was proven wrong. Big ALS in edmonton has some decent driftwood.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

The guy from under the sea radio (name is escaping me right now) is a big fan of African cichlids because his water params are identical to one of the African lakes and lives in Calgary. Maybe call the # on the podcast show and he can hook you up with a good place. I know he says ordering from the states there's a bunch of hoops to jump thru.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:05 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmckee727 View Post
The guy from under the sea radio (name is escaping me right now) is a big fan of African cichlids because his water params are identical to one of the African lakes and lives in Calgary. Maybe call the # on the podcast show and he can hook you up with a good place. I know he says ordering from the states there's a bunch of hoops to jump thru.
Thanks for the advice. I visited the site and it was rather confusing for me to navigate. You sound like you are somewhat familiar with the site. Could you possibly provide me with a link?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

www.cichlaholic.com is within Canada, maybe try there. And yeah I know about Big Als, I'm looking for places I can find it naturally though so I don't have to pay a bunch for it
Old 07-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacocksnHaps View Post
Thanks for the advice. I visited the site and it was rather confusing for me to navigate. You sound like you are somewhat familiar with the site. Could you possibly provide me with a link?
I've never been to the site but if you download the podcast they throw out the # every now and then. It's a good program, they cover everything from marine to FW plants. It's definitely worth checking out.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Another albertan here. Newly joined to this forum. After much research and reading of different people's opinions I figured this was one of the best places to join. From the edmonton area. Only have a small 10gal on the go right now but once I move in a few months hoping to change it over to a plant aquarium as well as start a larger fancy goldfish. See what happens. Good to know not everyone who lives in snow enjoys fish keeping as well

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com