Calling all Albertans!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlani

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hopefully there's a few of us on here? I thought if I posted this thread it might be easier to find retailers/ wholesalers/ breeders or even just other people from the same areas looking for ideas/ feedback/ experiences?
Has anyone else found it to be challenging to locate companies who are willing to ship to Canada?

Hi Mlani,
I live in Alberta and I have just started a 55 gallon mbuna tank, other than Pet Smart and PJ's I am having trouble finding breeders in my area (Edmonton). I found someone in Devon Alberta that is selling lots and I am looking at some peacocks for a second 55 g.

cichlidlove said:
Hi Mlani,
I live in Alberta and I have just started a 55 gallon mbuna tank, other than Pet Smart and PJ's I am having trouble finding breeders in my area (Edmonton). I found someone in Devon Alberta that is selling lots and I am looking at some peacocks for a second 55 g.

Hey :)
I can't believe there's only two of us in this group!? Maybe the other Albertans are shy? ;-) Have you tried looking in kijiji and craigslist? I've seen some breeders advertising in there for the Edmonton area. I don't know a lot about the mbuna species but I did see they had cichlids. Sorry I couldn't tell you what species though. Does Edmonton have a big als?

There's at least one more of us here. :) granted I don't currently have an aquarium yet, but we are looking to do saltwater. I've been exploring local fish stores. I just returned to Calgary after a 15 year absence in Ontario.

Oh salt water!! :) I can only dream of having one of those! You'll have to post pics when you get it. What size are you thinking of getting?

My wife, daughter, and I are exploring SW. My daughter is 6, so as much as the tank may be "hers" I'm most likely the one to be looking after the tricky maintenance until she gets older. we are looking at doing a 46g bow front with about a 10g sump system. The appeal is the development of an ecosystem, from the microscopic bacteria on up through invertebrates to the fish themselves. We are very much in the hurry up and wait stage of doing as much research as we can before bringing any equipment home, nevermind the livestock!

That's usually the way it works with kids, no matter what animal/hobby. It seems to fall on the parents to do most of the work. Especially when they're younger. Mine are 15 & 8 both of them have their "own" tanks that mommy looks after for them. Lol!
I haven't done any research on salt water so I may ask you some off the wall questions. Feel free to set my straight ;-)
I thought that smaller salt water systems are more difficult to maintain? I looked into one years ago (over 10yrs) and that's what I was told. How is the set up going?

Saltwater tanks have less wiggle room in terms of their water quality parameters. However, these days, the technology has improved considerably, which is why we are seriously considering a saltwater system. We are going to stick with hardy fish, mainly clowns and various invertebrates. If we get brave enough, we may introduce corals as well. The key thing is patience, and building up the tank so that the system stabilises before one introduces fish. It may help our six year old learn some patience, in that between setting the tank up and introducing fish can be on the order of months!

When you're ready to get it going you should start a thread. I'd love to follow along even though I don't have any knowledge about salt water. Have you found any good fish stores yet? I've heard Golds is good in Calgary. I haven't been able to check them out myself.

I'll try and check out Golds as soon as I can. I've been to a few places, but I've not committed any resources to my aquarium short of books as of yet.

Hello from Cold Lake.

Were our only pet store sells fish that die within the week and kill off the rest of your fish... and they don't hire people who point out sick fish and bad water conditions :)

Agatheron said:
I'll try and check out Golds as soon as I can. I've been to a few places, but I've not committed any resources to my aquarium short of books as of yet.

I went to golds this past weekend, they're a small family run place that has both salt and fresh water. I also went down 16th and there's a place called ocean "something" sorry I just blanked on the rest of it. It's another small family run place but it's all salt water and really healthy tanks!

Greater-Ajax said:
Hello from Cold Lake.

Were our only pet store sells fish that die within the week and kill off the rest of your fish... and they don't hire people who point out sick fish and bad water conditions :)

Oh that's not cool. That must make it difficult for you to be in this hobby? Do you order online instead?

Oh that's not cool. That must make it difficult for you to be in this hobby? Do you order online instead?

Would love to order online, but im a minor, and my mom hates anything computer. their is a store 40 min, But has vary little supplies, and small selection of fish.

That's really too bad. Being a mom myself and new to the whole techno world I can understand your moms apprehension with computers. Maybe if you include her more with your interest in fish she might have a change of heart and help you out? It's a tough place to be, being a kid. You'll just have to learn as much as you can online so you'll know what to look for when you go to the fish store. Who knows maybe you could teach them a thing or two?

I'm from Alberta and just caught up on this thread...I believe there is two big Als in Edmonton, thought I don't really like them....

There is an Alberta based website called albertaaquatica and you may find breeders there for almost anything you are looking for....

Niki said:
There is an Alberta based website called albertaaquatica and you may find breeders there for almost anything you are looking for....

I was searching out aquarium enthusiast groups in Alberta and found these guys too. They have a forum as well. Although I'm fairly new to their group, I've found it to be a great resource thus far :)

Mlani said:
I was searching out aquarium enthusiast groups in Alberta and found these guys too. They have a forum as well. Although I'm fairly new to their group, I've found it to be a great resource thus far :)

I agree, I really like that is is local and that they have a classified section.

The only thing is they don't have as much traffic as this site. But both are very helpful!

I noticed that too, not a lot of recent posts or activity. Although if you search it out there are answers to many questions already posted there. This forum that we're on right now, was my first forum and is still my fave!

Back
Top Bottom