Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your in the Toronto area, try contacting big Al's to see what they could do for you in regards to resealing or replacing the glass. I don't know that area all too well.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Removing the trim is not as hard as you would think... I have replaced several paines in several tanks. Taking the trim is going to be work, but not as hard as people make it out to be. Go slow, that is the key! Don't force it to break the seal. Also, try and buy long razor blades if you can slip them up and cut the silicone that is holding it in. Run that same blade through the glass. Patience is key as to not hurt the other sides of the glass.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi all!

Thank you all for your helpful pointers and tips. I called Big Al's and asked what I should do. At first, they suggested to just get a new tank but then said I could always just place another piece of glass and silicone it over the crack and that would be a nice quick fix. So I checked out the possibility of that and it looks like that would work. So I'm gonna have someone cut me two pieces of glass the same size as the cracked piece and then just silicone one piece over the cracked side and just for good measure, silicone another piece on the adjacent side and then I think that should work well and will probably only cost me $60 or so. Thoughts or suggestions?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:32 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't personally. There is a lot of pressure on these tanks and the cracks that are there could and will eventually finish the rest of the way across the tank. I have tried to do "fixes" on other smaller paines and it just doesn't work. If you can, I would highly recommend replacing the entire piece with at least as thick of a piece if not thicker. From experience, I would just try and do it right the first time...
Old 02-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
I wouldn't personally. There is a lot of pressure on these tanks and the cracks that are there could and will eventually finish the rest of the way across the tank. I have tried to do "fixes" on other smaller paines and it just doesn't work. If you can, I would highly recommend replacing the entire piece with at least as thick of a piece if not thicker. From experience, I would just try and do it right the first time...
Yeah I hear what you're saying and I do want to do it right from the get-go but even an experienced aquarium repair guy is telling me that the risk of breaking the trim is high and if the trim breaks, the aquarium would be useless. I'm not a handy person by any means whatsoever so there's no way I'm gonna attempt to do that myself cause I don't want this whole thing to go down the drain. This seems like a good solution cause I don't see how the water pressure would affect the cracked piece if I place a good piece of glass over the entire thing...

I'll keep you all updated on how the whole thing works out.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

That tank can be fixed by adding a patch piece on one side or both sides, without removing the trim. I have a 35 with a similar crack I repaired a few years ago, by adding a piece on each side of the glass and resealing the tank. Quite frankly, a hex tank isn't worth spending much money on, and if you have a Big Al's you should be able to get a new one for less than $200. However a couple pieces of glass and a tube of silicone may be worth the effort.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's too bad you don't live in southern Cali, I would totally help you with this tank. Replacing glass is not as hard as people think and I would totally do it for you.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkb02 View Post
It's too bad you don't live in southern Cali, I would totally help you with this tank. Replacing glass is not as hard as people think and I would totally do it for you.
Yes, I would definitely take you up on that offer. That's too bad. But thanks for all your advice. All of you!

Tags
crack, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com