Cracked Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neeni88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all!

I'm new to this forum and I am in need of advice. I've unfortunately acquired a cracked tank (I was fooled by a seller on kijiji) and now don't know exactly what to do to fix it. I've considered sealing it with 100% silicon but am afraid it may eventually give way to pressure and would rather just replace the glass and do it right the first time. I called around everywhere trying to find a place to do glass repair and finally came across this place in Mississauga, Ont. called Flinstone Glass and Mirror that say they could do it but I have to bring the tank in for them to quote it. By the way, it's a hexagonal tank, 50 gallons and the crack is near the top of one of the sides (I've attached pics).

So basically, I'm just wondering if it can just be sealed with silicon (I've been told there's not much pressure at the top) or if I should go ahead and replace the glass. And does anyone have any idea what the cost of that might be, including labour and all?

Thanks in advance for any advice provided!

~Neeni~

Attachments

• image-2818872967.jpg
    image-2818872967.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 174
  • image-684207842.jpg
    image-684207842.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 171
:Welcome: to AA! We hope ya enjoy :)

I would try and fix the glass yourself. Glass in the states is rather expensive so im not sure about a cost for you. Most of it will be labor im sure because to get to the glass the top and bottom plasic pieces have to come off. Then scrape off all the old silicon and silicon the new one in place.

Im sure here in the states it would cost up to $100

:Welcome: to AA! We hope ya enjoy :)

I would try and fix the glass yourself. Glass in the states is rather expensive so im not sure about a cost for you. Most of it will be labor im sure because to get to the glass the top and bottom plasic pieces have to come off. Then scrape off all the old silicon and silicon the new one in place.

Im sure here in the states it would cost up to $100

Thanks for your reply!

I'm willing to spend up to $200. What do you mean by fixing it myself - do you mean to silicone it or actually do the taking apart and replacing the glass myself. By the way, I'm not a very good DIY person - I'm not skilled in those ways lol.

An aquarium guy said the hardest part would be removing the trims and that it's very likely he'd end up breaking it and then the tank will be completely ruined.

I'm just wondering if it's a good idea or not to seal the crack with silicone or is that too risky?

Thanks for your reply!

I'm willing to spend up to $200. What do you mean by fixing it myself - do you mean to silicone it or actually do the taking apart and replacing the glass myself. By the way, I'm not a very good DIY person - I'm not skilled in those ways lol.

An aquarium guy said the hardest part would be removing the trims and that it's very likely he'd end up breaking it and then the tank will be completely ruined.

I'm just wondering if it's a good idea or not to seal the crack with silicone or is that too risky?

It may work but I wouldn't try it. The temp. on the inside can be different then the air on the outside which will cause it to just keep making the crack get longer. Also the pressure inside of the tank pushing out would concern me. Especially as the crack gets bigger

I would say a crack that high on the tank could be siliconed. The pressure shouldn't be too high to cause a blowout. Just remember old and new silicone doesnt bond together. To do it properly would require all new silicone. I have resealed a 55 and it's not to bad. Just time consuming.

I would say a crack that high on the tank could be siliconed. The pressure shouldn't be too high to cause a blowout. Just remember old and new silicone doesnt bond together. To do it properly would require all new silicone. I have resealed a 55 and it's not to bad. Just time consuming.

Did you have trouble removing the trim when you revealed the tank?

It may work but I wouldn't try it. The temp. on the inside can be different then the air on the outside which will cause it to just keep making the crack get longer. Also the pressure inside of the tank pushing out would concern me. Especially as the crack gets bigger

Yeah I would much rather replace the glass cause I'm afraid of this happening, but I really don't want to break the trim...

I have done it once on a 5 gallon the trim didn't break on be but the glass did. You just have to be really careful, if it won't come off easy then don't force it. Just keep taking a long razor blade and sliding it behind the trim and cutting threw the silicone.

The tank I did it on was 25 years old

I don't think I removed the trim. Nope I didn't. Just cleaned all silicone up to the bottom of the trim and replaced. Now for the record I resealed a tank. I've never replaced a glass pain before. I would also think on a hex that it would be more complicated. Did you leak test the hex yet? Also, you said you would be willing to spend up to 200 to have it fixed, check Craigslist
and you may find a nice 55 with some equip for that price. Just food for thought.

We have Kijiji up here in Canada rather then Craigslist. And trust me up here people ask a lot for stuff that should have decreased in value. I got lucky when I got my 55 for 100 bucks cuz now I see them 250 plus. Mind you I'm in winnipeg and people expect to get back what they put in.

If your in the Toronto area, try contacting big Al's to see what they could do for you in regards to resealing or replacing the glass. I don't know that area all too well.

Removing the trim is not as hard as you would think... I have replaced several paines in several tanks. Taking the trim is going to be work, but not as hard as people make it out to be. Go slow, that is the key! Don't force it to break the seal. Also, try and buy long razor blades if you can slip them up and cut the silicone that is holding it in. Run that same blade through the glass. Patience is key as to not hurt the other sides of the glass.

Hi all!

Thank you all for your helpful pointers and tips. I called Big Al's and asked what I should do. At first, they suggested to just get a new tank but then said I could always just place another piece of glass and silicone it over the crack and that would be a nice quick fix. So I checked out the possibility of that and it looks like that would work. So I'm gonna have someone cut me two pieces of glass the same size as the cracked piece and then just silicone one piece over the cracked side and just for good measure, silicone another piece on the adjacent side and then I think that should work well and will probably only cost me $60 or so. Thoughts or suggestions?

I wouldn't personally. There is a lot of pressure on these tanks and the cracks that are there could and will eventually finish the rest of the way across the tank. I have tried to do "fixes" on other smaller paines and it just doesn't work. If you can, I would highly recommend replacing the entire piece with at least as thick of a piece if not thicker. From experience, I would just try and do it right the first time...

I wouldn't personally. There is a lot of pressure on these tanks and the cracks that are there could and will eventually finish the rest of the way across the tank. I have tried to do "fixes" on other smaller paines and it just doesn't work. If you can, I would highly recommend replacing the entire piece with at least as thick of a piece if not thicker. From experience, I would just try and do it right the first time...

Yeah I hear what you're saying and I do want to do it right from the get-go but even an experienced aquarium repair guy is telling me that the risk of breaking the trim is high and if the trim breaks, the aquarium would be useless. I'm not a handy person by any means whatsoever so there's no way I'm gonna attempt to do that myself cause I don't want this whole thing to go down the drain. This seems like a good solution cause I don't see how the water pressure would affect the cracked piece if I place a good piece of glass over the entire thing...

I'll keep you all updated on how the whole thing works out. :)

That tank can be fixed by adding a patch piece on one side or both sides, without removing the trim. I have a 35 with a similar crack I repaired a few years ago, by adding a piece on each side of the glass and resealing the tank. Quite frankly, a hex tank isn't worth spending much money on, and if you have a Big Al's you should be able to get a new one for less than $200. However a couple pieces of glass and a tube of silicone may be worth the effort.

It's too bad you don't live in southern Cali, I would totally help you with this tank. Replacing glass is not as hard as people think and I would totally do it for you.

It's too bad you don't live in southern Cali, I would totally help you with this tank. Replacing glass is not as hard as people think and I would totally do it for you.

Yes, I would definitely take you up on that offer. That's too bad. But thanks for all your advice. All of you! :)

Back
Top Bottom