Evasive Potassium Permanganate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Milan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been trying to find Potassium Permanganate to sterilize new plants, before I introduce them, but no luck so far ... The last pharmacist I asked about this stuff told me I was the first one to ask him that question after 15 years of his career. Where do you guys find this stuff? Or maybe there is something else I can use ...? Or perhaps pharmacies are not the right place to look .. I could not find anything in pet stores. They suggest salt.

Any directions or suggestions ...? I live in Calgary.

Bah..we all have it (although I am currently out myself) :wink: ....most just buy from a local lab supply...I usually buy mine from PetroCraft.

Petrocraft
C-2410 2 Ave SE, Calgary, AB T2E6J9
(403) 272-9590

Ask around on the Alberta Aquatica board if you can't wait until Monday...I know a couple of fellows there picked a tub up recently and probably have tons to spare.

Thanks Toirtis, but I think I'm going to hold it off for a while. I'm currently dealing with a different sort of water >>> in my basement. :( It's all soaked after this bloody rain ...

Milan said:
Thanks Toirtis, but I think I'm going to hold it off for a while. I'm currently dealing with a different sort of water >>> in my basement. :( It's all soaked after this bloody rain ...

I am sorry to hear that...I got a bit of seepage in one corner of my laundry room, but a few Calgary Aquarium Society members got a couple of inches or more throughout their basements, including the treasurer, who got a nasty shock Saturday morning.

What neighbourhood are you in?

I'm in Hawkwood. It's not the ground water that hit me but the rain that was continuously pounding on a basement window and somehow found it's way in. The result soaked insulation, drywall, carpet, .... I have to tear big part of the wall apart. Insurance told me this morning they most likely wouldn't cover it, but referred me to some government relief fund. Any ideas what kind of deal is that?

Sorry to hear about your water problems. For sterilizing new plants I use alum at the rate of 1 Tablespoon per gallon, and soak for 1/2 hour.

Back
Top Bottom