Good LFS In your area:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pacu Man

Aquarium Advice Activist
Thought we might use this post as a sticky to list good LFS in our areas.

If your near toronto you should go to any Big Al's theres quite a few the best one in my opinion being in Missisuaga also next door to that one theres a place in the chinatown plaza called "Dragon Aquariums" they have good prices on salt and freshwater fish.

On the West Coast, Vancouver.

We have 2 Big Als (Richmond and Coquitlam) both are really well stocked.

But my favorite place would have to be King Ed's Pet Centre
(Kingsway and Edmonds in Burnaby) Medium sized store but has 2 levels.
If you are claustrophobic watch out.... They have more stock than any other place I've been to. Isles are tight but they have everything stacked to the ceiling.
Prices are amazing too!

in winnipeg the 2 best stores are almost right across the street, bird shop and aquariums is stacked with tanks over 200 plus a 500 gallon reef display tank and a 150 gallon salt water predator display tank, a big selection of tanks(and the staff really know what there tanking about) the address is 1034 main st. . the other store is called fish gallery(im not sure of the adress but its just down the street) this place is smaller but bad, there is one guy that runs it and custom makes tanks for cheap! and also makes sumps and stands.

out here you have to travel to Newmarket for LFS's and the choices are limited to

1 BigAl's
1 PetSmart
1 Petsave(or something similar).

sadly ,all the good small LFS seem to have closed up after the arrival of the wallymart's/petsmart's.

So the only real option is BigAl's, or mail-order.

Lots of easterners. If you're in calgary and reading this and new, check out Gold's Aquarium in 17th Avenue NE. Least expensive livestock in town. Unfortuntaely not the greatest selection, but begger's can't be choosers.

If you want more selection, try Big Al's or Pices Pet Emporium by the Airport.

I love Pices! Great for the fish and my other animals! I have checked out Big Al's--may get a 50 gal tank there soon. I will make a trip to Gold's one of these days.

BIg Als is definatly the place to go, I love that store. Petsmart is also pretty good, we just got one in Newmarket a few months ago.

ashley

I just found another great LFS---if you are into cichlids :D . Tanks A Lot on the corner of Heritage Dr and Elbow Dr (down the street from Big Al's). It's located inside a pet shop that looks like it is only for kitties and puppies (can't remember the name). Anyway, Gary was an incredible help this evening. VERY knowledgeable about Mbuna, Lake T and other assorted cichlids. I will definitely be going back--good prices on the fish and we walked out with a "late" model Fluval 304 for $100--way cheaper than I had seen it anywhere else!!

I visit the Newmarket Big Al's the most for supplies.
But for fish I head over to the Big Al's on Steeles near Young St. Their fish room is several times the size of the one in Newmarket :)
Oddly I have sometimes found the prices to be better there for both fish and equipment than the Newmarket store.

bettacove said:
BIg Als is definatly the place to go, I love that store. Petsmart is also pretty good, we just got one in Newmarket a few months ago.

ashley

I hate you all. :p
I have the misfortune of living on an island, (Vancouver Island) and there are no good LFS on it. Also, i cant just take a little drive and find a better one. That would involve a hundred dollar ferry trip. :(

for people arround Windsor On there is house of tropical fish on jefferson right near the service road right befor ec row express way. ive been to many stores arround here and they are the best they really know what they are doing. all their stock are really healthy have really nice set ups and if they dont have what you want they go out of their way to get it ordered and have it in that same week for you. if you feel like crossing the river there are several shops over just outside detroit that are amazing they have huge tanks of coral and every fish imaginable

Anybody that lives in or near OHIO go to anyone of the Jacks Aquarium N Pets. There are numerous ones. I work at the one in Huber Heights. They have amazing prices on Fresh and Salt Livestock and LiveRock. They can also special order many hard to find species. And get it in QUICK.

London Ontario - We had superpet which was alot better than petsmart but got taken over by petsmart. We have petacular which is horrible. The best place here is definatley Big Al's they seem to take the most pride in what they do and they are specifically for aquariums and fish unlike petsmart which is pretty much a walmart.

-davE

Back
Top Bottom