Help. Algae Bloom won't go away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

femjock

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. Just joined and was hoping someone might have a suggestion.

In November I noticed my tank water started to get cloudy. Over a few days my crystal clear tank turned to a white/yellow/green soup colour.

I read the forums, did water changes, filter changes, UV stabilizer changed twice and after 6weeks I took out all the rocks and washed them with hot water...more of a really intense bath. Just after Christmas it cleared up.

The about two months later it started again and now no matter what I try I'm always in various stages of it coming back. I think it's gone and water "seems" clear but with 5 days the water starts to get cloudy again.

I bought a really expensive filter made of nano beads, as well as a phosphorous filter. I've ordered another green machine UV stabilizer. I use Aquaclear filters, charcoal or the ammonia/charcoal style plus one of the expensive filters I mentioned first. And the bio max. It's a 45gallon tank. I run two filters, a 50 & 20 plus the uv stabilizer. It's a community tank and water levels all seem to test positively when I check.

If you have any advise I'd be eternally grateful. Thanks.

If you would include stocking, water change schedule, type of light fixture(s), and how many hours the lights are on per day then that would be helpful.

If you would include stocking, water change schedule, type of light fixture(s), and how many hours the lights are on per day then that would be helpful.

Well I have Kissing Gorami, blue gorami, a rainbow shark, a few black skirts, three bottom feeders that look like catfish, two Africa dwarf frogs and a bunch of algae eaters and a couple of misc plates. I got the tank from a friend last summer and so most of the fish came with that tank.

I used to leave the lights on all day and never had a problem but recently have only been only turning the light on for a few hours a night after work.

I have the long led ballasts. One bulb is straight white lights and one bulb has alternating white and red. I have two ballasts over the tank.

I've been changing the water every two - three weeks at least 50% sometimes 75%. I use Prime & PH Regulator and clarifier sometimes.

I bought a live plant and added flourish to get it started but I suspect now that the flourish didn't help the situation. And the plant died.

Back
Top Bottom