Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I will wait three months or more before buying anymore fish. When I test it ammonia always is 0 and nitrites low 0.1. Ph 7. I did not notice a spike yet in anything-though I've been doing regular changes maybe it's making it cycle slower. I guess the guppy and pleco is a much more hardy fish. I've had the aquarium for about 5 weeks.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Since I changed pretty much all the water last night should I use the fluval 'cycle'bacteria in a bottle? I've never used it before. But it came with the tank

Old 04-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most people think its a waste.

I would take back the plecos now so that you have a smaller bio load being produced and give the tank time to catch up, once it cycles with your 12 fry and 2 guppies then try to restock with what you want provided the bio load is similar or you will go through a mini cycle.

Its possible to still do this with the plecos but in my opinion they have no place in a tank under 100 gallons. They bring nothing to the tank in terms of cleaning and are poop machines.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRC Exotics View Post
Most people think its a waste.

I would take back the plecos now so that you have a smaller bio load being produced and give the tank time to catch up, once it cycles with your 12 fry and 2 guppies then try to restock with what you want provided the bio load is similar or you will go through a mini cycle.

Its possible to still do this with the plecos but in my opinion they have no place in a tank under 100 gallons. They bring nothing to the tank in terms of cleaning and are poop machines.

Pleco's do poop a lot providing an ammonia source which the BB can feed on and multiply. That's what I see. People who keep smaller pleco's do it because they like the species not because they want it to eat the nasty stuff. Look up a Zebra Pleco and you will understand, it's one gorgeous pleco.

As for cycling the tank, if you go to Freshwater->Getting Started-> and click the sticky there is articles about cycling and how to do it with or without fish in the tank to help get you on track.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 04-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know about the plecos, some are gorgeous, but they get big. My point in this instance about all the poop is fish in cycling which evidently this is can be very difficult with a large bio load, my only point was dropping the plecos would speed the process of getting the tank stable, then more load could be added. If the op just likes the plecos then I understand that fully.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks. I think my tank water would have been fine if I didn't change it. I might have made a very big error and I hope all the plants and fish don't die because of it. ( this morning when I saw the angel struggling I went to put it in a quarantine tank .. When I went to reach for my dechlorinator Where I always keep it I grabbed my 'cycle' liquid instead ) im not very sure if that's what I used last night after doing my water change (by accident) but there is a small chance I put the bacteria in all my tanks new fresh water instead of the dechlorinator ! this is a bad day. I might have restarted EVERYTHING. I really hope I didn't but might have. I put the dechlorinator in now. I hope the plants and dwarf frogs and guppies and plecos will be okay
Old 04-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Plants are fine. I cycled my big 75g with plants in there. Like the BB they feed off ammonia and some also feed on Nitrate.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 04-03-2015, 02:40 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

There is only one very tiny pleco in my big tank I moved the other to a different tank. So I don't think it will make a very big difference as of now. I will be very careful from now on. (After everything I went through last night) I feel like had I never went and got the Angels the tank would prob be fine now
Old 04-03-2015, 02:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Have you ever forgotten to put dechlorinator. ( or put the bacteria 'cycle ' product in instead) I hope I didn't. But I might have. The bottles are so similar
Old 04-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdaisy View Post
Have you ever forgotten to put dechlorinator. ( or put the bacteria 'cycle ' product in instead) I hope I didn't. But I might have. The bottles are so similar

Surprisingly I haven't yet. But I always add it before adding any water as well. I've made a habit out of it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Tags
6 gallon, gallon, stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com