Help please! ( stocking information 26 gallon )

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The cycle bacteria shouldn't interrupt things, you should be fine. Does the cycle bacteria contain dechlorinator because if it doesn't I'd say that's what got the angels.

The cycle bacteria shouldn't interrupt things, you should be fine. Does the cycle bacteria contain dechlorinator because if it doesn't I'd say that's what got the angels.

Most bacteria supplements don't actually work BUT some people have had them work that's why they are controversial. We will see how it goes.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

the first angel died before I did the water change ( before I made the mistake of putting cycle bacteria instead of dechlorinator ) maybe I didn't even make that mistake im jst thinking I might have. the second angel is actually not dead yet but is definitely dying.she is on her side in a separate smaller tank with a gentle filter ,heater to 81degrees and brand new dechlorinated water maybe it will make it but I don't think so because it's the same symptoms that happened to the first angel. I actually didn't read the cycle bottle to see if it had dechlorinator in it. (But I added the regular amount of my normal dechlorinator this morning into my tank just incase ) don't know if I did it too late.

I would check and see. How big is the new "container" for the Angel?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I checked the nutrafin cycle it has no dechlorinator. . Now The angel is In Only 5 gallons of water. But she is small the body is Abit bigger than the size of a dollar (about 1.5 inches)

I don't think I forgot to put dechlorinator in the whole tank. If anything maybe just the last bucket I might have grabbed the cycle instead. - But Im still wondering why both my Angels died. - Maybe it was the acclimation (not long enough? 15min float bag. Add tank water wait 10min,add more tank water wait 10 min then I put them in tank) or -the temperature (79) , I just tested the water again and it's still ph 7. Ammonia 0. nitrite 0.1 and nitrate 5(or abit less than 5). - How will I know when my tank is fully cycled? & - How often should i test the water?

Yesterday I did a 100percent water change (but didn't clean the filter or the rocks) - Should I change the water again? I also just bought a timer for my light. Put it on at 11am and turns off at 10pm.

Lights shouldn't run more than 8 hours a day. Past 8 you can run into algae problems.

As BB multiply they work to take out ammonia first, you dose ammonia(Fishless cycle) or you have some stock(fish in cycle) to make the ammonia. Next, they will tackle nitrite, both ammonia and nitrite over time will try to skyrocket in level. This is part of the process and why in fish in cycling you do a lot of water changes. Once your BB can clear high levels of ammonia and nitrite in 24 hours with only a byproduct of nitrate, your tank is cycled.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I read somewhere that lights shod be on ten hours and plants should have 12 hours of light (so that's y I Jst put it 11 hours. I will fix it later for 8 hours. But that sucks because the lights will be on only when I'm not home)

I adjust my lights to when I am home. Timers make that really easy :) more than 8 hours is really only for heavily planted tanks that require that extra light.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Oh ok. thank you again! Your Rly helpful :) my tank is pretty heavily planted so I'm not sure. Maybe today for the last day I'll leave the lights as is (11hrs) then I will change it. Since my plants are very new it might help them get adjusted? Im still learning. (lately the temp has stayed at about 78 )I'm going to research the type of plants I have since I don't k ow much about it and I have about 8 different types

Oh ok. thank you again! Your Rly helpful :) my tank is pretty heavily planted so I'm not sure. Maybe today for the last day I'll leave the lights as is (11hrs) then I will change it. Since my plants are very new it might help them get adjusted? Im still learning. (lately the temp has stayed at about 78 )I'm going to research the type of plants I have since I don't k ow much about it and I have about 8 different types

Research is never a bad thing :) it's quite important in this hobby because some plants REQUIRE co2 and/or fertilizers to thrive in the home aquaria. Some need more lighting than others. It's possible to "overdo" the lighting, im learning about this in my planted tank.. Looking for a DIY dinner because it's causing algae. Plants require certain conditions just like fish do.

You also have to be careful about adding salt and chemicals to the tank as some chemicals can damage and even kill plants, they usually say on the label not to add to planted tanks. Many plants cannot survive in brackish tanks (tanks with some salt but not full saltwater) so beware adding salt.

I learned almost everything I know from the help of people on this forum. They are a wealth of information and always willing to pitch in what they know via research and experience.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom