Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist

I read somewhere that lights shod be on ten hours and plants should have 12 hours of light (so that's y I Jst put it 11 hours. I will fix it later for 8 hours. But that sucks because the lights will be on only when I'm not home)

Old 04-04-2015, 05:45 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

I adjust my lights to when I am home. Timers make that really easy more than 8 hours is really only for heavily planted tanks that require that extra light.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Old 04-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh ok. thank you again! Your Rly helpful my tank is pretty heavily planted so I'm not sure. Maybe today for the last day I'll leave the lights as is (11hrs) then I will change it. Since my plants are very new it might help them get adjusted? Im still learning. (lately the temp has stayed at about 78 )I'm going to research the type of plants I have since I don't k ow much about it and I have about 8 different types
Old 04-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdaisy View Post
Oh ok. thank you again! Your Rly helpful my tank is pretty heavily planted so I'm not sure. Maybe today for the last day I'll leave the lights as is (11hrs) then I will change it. Since my plants are very new it might help them get adjusted? Im still learning. (lately the temp has stayed at about 78 )I'm going to research the type of plants I have since I don't k ow much about it and I have about 8 different types

Research is never a bad thing it's quite important in this hobby because some plants REQUIRE co2 and/or fertilizers to thrive in the home aquaria. Some need more lighting than others. It's possible to "overdo" the lighting, im learning about this in my planted tank.. Looking for a DIY dinner because it's causing algae. Plants require certain conditions just like fish do.

You also have to be careful about adding salt and chemicals to the tank as some chemicals can damage and even kill plants, they usually say on the label not to add to planted tanks. Many plants cannot survive in brackish tanks (tanks with some salt but not full saltwater) so beware adding salt.

I learned almost everything I know from the help of people on this forum. They are a wealth of information and always willing to pitch in what they know via research and experience.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Tags
6 gallon, gallon, stock, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com