Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2006, 01:04 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

which one is the biggest in ontario? i go to the one on steeles in north york and i've yet to find a reliable staff member. i find it very frustrating. in fact i called and complained to the manager and he was appalled at what i'd been through in setting up my tank.

i purposely try to talk to a different person every time i'm in there just in the hopes of getting someone knowledgable.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:32 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got to go to the one in Qakville. It's south on Trafalgar rd, all the way down past the QEW. It's on Kerr st. You can still run into a bonehead there as well, but for the most part they go out of thier way to make you happy and have a few guys that really know thier stuff. They will order plants from Tropica for you as well. Since I've been to that BA I don't go anywhere else for serious purchases. I live in Milton so it's a 20 minute drive for me. Check it out if it's not to far out of your way.

90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
2x 150 Wt 10000k HQI Metal Halide, 2x 65 Wt 6700k-Colourmax
Glenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 10:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenc
Got to go to the one in Qakville. It's south on Trafalgar rd, all the way down past the QEW. It's on Kerr st. You can still run into a bonehead there as well, but for the most part they go out of thier way to make you happy and have a few guys that really know thier stuff. They will order plants from Tropica for you as well. Since I've been to that BA I don't go anywhere else for serious purchases. I live in Milton so it's a 20 minute drive for me. Check it out if it's not to far out of your way.

If you are in Milton, check the Hamilton store too. It's a little dumpy (it's been around for at least 20 years) but most of the fish room guys are aquarists themselves. Give them the chance and they will go on about their own tanks.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby_Tempo_GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenc

If you are in Milton, check the Hamilton store too. It's a little dumpy (it's been around for at least 20 years) but most of the fish room guys are aquarists themselves. Give them the chance and they will go on about their own tanks.
maybe one day i'll convince my husband to accompany me to one of those stores. the north york one is about 6 minutes from me so it's hard to motivate myself to drive all the way out to oakville (or hamilton). but it would be nice to compare stores.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
I go to both Hamilton and Oakville. for the most part I stick to Oakville. They seem to have a wider selection for most things... I've been to London, Kitchener, Hamilton, Oakville, Mississauga, Brampton and Markham (pretty sure that's where it was).. london had an ich outbreak, the one I went to in T.O was not in great shape.. they pretty much made names up for the fish.. Most of the other stores seemed alright, but I didn't buy much more then driftwood and filter media from them..
Old 01-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

The Oakville store is pretty good but it does have it's rough times.I was there today and things did not look so hot in a few of the coral tanks (red slime) but over all it is the best store in the chain in the GTA. If anyone has been to the Brampton store and has delt with Frank, I just found out he does not work there anymore which is a real drag because he was really helpfull and honest.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:52 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think I will go to Big Al's this weekend.

Just because.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:33 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Funny how the locations vary. I've gotten to the point where I won't buy livestock from either BA's here. Other people think they're ok though - maybe its just the Livebearers. The staff have always been good here - very friendly & helpful. The prices are sky high here, but so are most things in BC .

Good to know I shouldn't dismiss them all if I happen to be Province-hopping!

----------------------------------

}}='=:> LB <:='={{
CanadiansInternet.com
CanadianAquariumConnection.com
Old 04-28-2007, 01:53 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livebearer
Funny how the locations vary. I've gotten to the point where I won't buy livestock from either BA's here. Other people think they're ok though - maybe its just the Livebearers. The staff have always been good here - very friendly & helpful. The prices are sky high here, but so are most things in BC .

Good to know I shouldn't dismiss them all if I happen to be Province-hopping!

----------------------------------

}}='=:> LB <:='={{
CanadiansInternet.com
CanadianAquariumConnection.com

AFAIK, they are mostly franchises. So you are subject to the local management.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:40 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Newbie

CO2 Gear

"Glenc" mentioned Big Al's having the best selection of CO2 gear but not the specific location. This would happen to be the London store, would it? I am exploring CO2, but need to get some advice. Thanks!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com