Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Our nearest Big Al's is in Burnaby (BC) on North Road at Lougheed Hwy. Their prices are a bit too high though. I remember the days when you could get 3 Neon tetras for 99 cents. Now they're like ~$3.99 each! And you're not guaranteed that you'll get a healthy group.

And now with the onslaught of the HST, fish will become even more expensive when it kicks in. For now, I think I'll stick to my Mickey Mouse Platties and my pleco...

I do get some of my supplies there too, like filter floss and accessories but I do find those a bit expensive too.

In one word, Big Al's = Expensive

dan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Originally Posted by Bige View Post
I dont use dr f and S any more. They take too long to get orders out. Aquacave. has cheaper shipping and I get orders in about 2 or 3 days. I could wait a week or more from fosters. Also aquacave is a site sponsor. Also they are cheaper than fosters on most products. As far as staff at all lfs, if they knew anything they would work at sea world. I go in expecting them to be stupid then if they know something I can be surprised.
I'll have to check out Aquacave, but I guess I don't expect super-fast shipping when you can order as much as you want for $5.99 flat rate. I just ordered 20 lbs of miracle mud, an 8-bulb T5HO fixture, a 200g box of Instant Ocean, and a smattering of other items, all for $5.99 shipping - over $660 worth of stuff. The salt alone is $35 shipping anywhere else, and even stand alone salt w/shipping is cheaper than Petco or anywhere else in town.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Originally Posted by Bige View Post
I dont use dr f and S any more. They take too long to get orders out. Aquacave. has cheaper shipping and I get orders in about 2 or 3 days. I could wait a week or more from fosters.
Just FYI, I placed that order of Tuesday early afternoon CST and I received everything in the order today (Friday) by 4:30 pm, including the light fixture that was on backorder. My last order took about a week, but that was during Xmas time...to be expected.
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #44
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
I have ordered from both the drs and aquacave, and both orders were shipped very quickly. i ordered both of them on sundays, and received them the following wednesday or thursday. drs foster and smith have the $5.99 flat rate shipping right now, and there is a $5 off coupon on one of the coupon websites, which basically means $.99 shipping.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak
i find my local big als expencive for african cichlids. I bought everything from there except my tanks, untill i found a good website with other breeders. now, if i can avoid it, ill use my other website for buying items (fluval fx5 for 230$ brand new in box, warrenty and extra media) and use big als as little as possiable or in case of emergencys.

also, overheard some staff members not giving good advise re: some fish to put in with other fish and the staff member said "i dont care, they will come back and spend more $"

so i go there and get what i know and leave..... however, the 1 in scarborough (toronto) i have never had a problem with enjoy going to that store.
jimmy c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all i am fromm the niagara region and well i haven't been to a big al's as of yet. I usually go to a couple a local fish stores that treat me great. I am planning onn checcking out big als tho to see what its all about and from what i have been reading skip hamilton and drive right on up to oakville??? sound accurate ?
55 gallon cichlid planted tank
20 gallon freshwater tank ( undecided )
5 gallon betta planted tank.
3 months into fish... and not doing to bad
johnanthony74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been to the scarborough store and the Steeles store. Have to say I like the Scarborough store more. I haven't felt real comfortable with the advice I got in either of the stores - more like they just wanted a sale as opposed to really finding out what the customer wants. BUT - I got fantastic advice from calling the customer service line of the website!! If I ever have a question, I'll definitely call them! Otherwise, prices are good in store and online.
Wlegrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Activist
Big Als is the best! When i lived in TO up till a few weeks ago I went to the Scarb location. Great stock (great for Rams) Scott the fish room manager is fantastic. Going to the Oakville location which is also great, little less selection but Ivan fish room manager is also great, very helpfull and wants happy customers. He knows alot so if you have a question or problem present it nicely and then listen. I just had a problem with a batch of Kribs from the store, Ivan took care of it no problem. One thing I learned about Oakville has 7.8ph out of the tap! My tank is 6.6ph, lost a couple Kribs due to ph shock. Ivan and I chatted and figured it out because it was a mystery for both of us, never had a problem with Scarb ph as it is 7 out of the tap. But Ivan took care of me, i dripped in the new females and all is great! I will be sad to see the doors close in April
gallowchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Activist
Loving big als in London, Ont. There fish always seem healthy unlike what we've seen at petsmart sometimes. Great for questions and everything
miran3773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Freak
Hamilton has a good selection and an educated, informative staff. Isn't the most appealing visually, compared to Oakville, but still a solid LFS. It is smaller, so they remove the koi pond during the winter.

Oakville is a much nicer store, bigger and more tanks. What I found was that, even though there are 2x as many tanks as Hamilton, they have a lot more of the same stock. Tons of guppies, tetra, platies, mollies.. if you get what I mean. Not the greatest cichlid stock the times I've been there. There's 1 full grown malawi tank, that you'd be spending an arm and a leg for a peacock at 4". Other than that, the grown cichlid tanks look like all returns.
Other than prices, big als is a quality shop. I usually only buy the sales on wednesdays for double point VIP.
I've actually shoplifted from there by complete accident, realized I didn't pay for a bottle of Excel when I got home, called, and they were surprised I called, and said don't worry about it maybe just pay next time youre in.

^^Londons online flyer always looks so scarce and pitiful lol

Koikid88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com