Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sf1 View Post
I'm in Montreal. There is only 1 good but expensive aquastore: aquariusweb.qc.ca All others are just crap X_X
I find there isn't many stores that sell saltwater , marine or reef supplies anymore .
I haven't been to Montreal in years ,
I am from Quebec
Do you come to Ontario often ?

Old 01-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #82
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I live in Ontario and the best aquarium store In my opinion is big Al's. Big Al's sells salt water and fresh water fish. They also sell some reptiles if your in to that. They have very good customer service they are very nice and if you have a problem with any of the products you buy there they will give your money back.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Like most retail stores though .
They are
1) the most expensive
2) your normal sales men selling you what you don't need , or isn't compatible with your setup . But the main thing just making a sale .
I refuse to buy their corals or fish ( saltwater )
I know 1 big ALS stores admitted using municipal water and cheap salt.
The only one that gets higher quality salt and rodi water is the show , display tanks .
Their corals are all bleached , and their rocks are all infested with aptasia
Depending on where in Ontario I could refer you to better , cheaper places to shop
Old 01-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #84
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How many shop at Big Al's?

I'm going to have to disagree but every big Al's location is different. I go to the one in Newmarket and the prices are always cheaper than Petsmart but there was one thing I found weird. I went to the Big Al's in thorn hill and there prices were more expensive than the prices at the Newmarket location. For example the Marineland bio wheel 350 was $35 dollars at the Newmarket location but at the Thorn hill location it was $40. I know what my tank needs and the Big Al's sales men have never suckered me into something I did not need. Also the live stock I buy from there is always healthy and I've never had a problem.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:59 AM   #85
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Seeing as you go to the store in Newmarket ,
Try sea u marine in Markham
If you keep saltwater they are the cheapest for that area .
Old 03-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

both of my tanks were bought there. i buy lot of other items like food and stuff from there also. i'm however a bit hesitant to buy hardware from there as they dont have any return policy. if i make an impulse buy and later on find something better somewhere else, they will not give the money back (even if the item i bought is still in original packaging not been used) which makes me think twice about buying hardwares from there.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #87
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What place are you referring to as being hesitant buying things from ?
The last time I was in Markham I didn't like seeing a lot of dead fish , corals not looking as good as they did .
I don't think I'll be shopping there for awhile .
Back to NAFB and my local friend
Old 03-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My local big als is in Newmarket and the prices are great! I got lots of fish from there and they take care of their fish well, unlike PetSmart:/ The only thing I don't like about Big Al's is the advice they give you, someone told me I could put an oscar with a dwarf gourami and they'd live happily together. Wow. Besides that, I love Big Als!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:16 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleco1415 View Post
I'm going to have to disagree but every big Al's location is different. I go to the one in Newmarket and the prices are always cheaper than Petsmart but there was one thing I found weird. I went to the Big Al's in thorn hill and there prices were more expensive than the prices at the Newmarket location. For example the Marineland bio wheel 350 was $35 dollars at the Newmarket location but at the Thorn hill location it was $40. I know what my tank needs and the Big Al's sales men have never suckered me into something I did not need. Also the live stock I buy from there is always healthy and I've never had a problem.

Yep, the prices range widely. I found guppies for 1.99 at the Newmarket location while they were 99 cents each at one of the Ottawa locations. I always check the website before going I've never had fish problems with them either, the water is is great condition too!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppygourami View Post
Yep, the prices range widely. I found guppies for 1.99 at the Newmarket location while they were 99 cents each at one of the Ottawa locations. I always check the website before going I've never had fish problems with them either, the water is is great condition too!

Hey I have also noticed at the Newmarket location they will test your water for free but at the other locations I've been too they charge $1

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com