just getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bald57

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to get into saltwater fish. I presently have a 30 gallon tank with all the accessories but I wonder if I purchase a 50 or 60 gallon tank, can I transfer my fish stock and sand and rock to the new tank without having to cycle the new tank for a few weeks.

thanks for the reply. No I have not dealt with salt water before. It is something I have always wanted to do and now I have decided to make the switch. I have done tons of reading and find it very interesting. I know it will be alot more work than fw but think the end result will be worth it. I know I have alot to learn so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bill

I found going from fresh to salt much easier actually. The first time cost and start-up work is well a lot but after you are cycled and running for about 4months it's almost effortless. I went from a 55 g fresh to a 28 g salt and let me tell you best thing I ever did. It is also a cube tank so all the filtration is built right into the tank, I do 3 g pwcs weekly and have had a wonderful experience. So worst it in my opinion. That hard part is being patient once you start adding you don't want to stop. Lol good luck and keep us posted on how you make out.

Sorry I am assuming the old tank is freshwater, if that's the case then I don't see why you couldn't transfer right to the new tank with all the old stuff. It's just like if you are moving and you are transferring to a different location.

tons and tons of questions

I am so excited and want to get into this hobby. I have read till my eyes are sore and there are so many contridictions of opions. It is getting confusing. I guess starting with the basics, am I safe to use bottled water that has been run thru reverse osmosis? The next very basic question is when it comes time to buy the live rock, we live about 2 hours from the store which we will buy it. Is there anything I should do to transport it ie, keeping it warm, or wet and how long when I bring it home do I have to get it into the tank. I will have to mix the water, add the sand and I wonder if I will damage the rock if I don't get it right into the tank.
Any hints would be greatly appreciated. I have a vision as to how I want to have the tank look and can't wait. I know move slowly and have patience. Hell, I am not getting younger and want to get it going but finances as slowing me down.
thanks in advance.
Bill

The best way to do it is to get the tank, sand and live rock. Don't worry to much about transport of the rock. No matter what you will have die off of the bacteria. You could keep a damp cloth over it that you should soak in the tank water it comes from this will stop it from totally drying out. Put it in the tank then add sand and then add your already mixed saltwater. This way if you ever want sand diggers like pistol shrimps or gobys you won't have landslides cause the rock is on the bottom of the tank. Put in a table shrimp and let it rott. Test your water everyday and watch for a spike in ammonia then nitrites and then nitrates. Once the trates are zero you should be good to go and add a small cuc to start. Keep the lights off as to stop algae growth during the cycle I didn't and my tank was a forest. Lol I would also suggest you stay away from emerald crabs I had to evict mine cause it started to eat my coral. Hope that helps. :)

Oh and I use water from the ro machines from the grocery store. My Christmas wish is for an rodi filter but till I get it the stuff at the store works better then tap water.

U can use the private message function on the forum. :) I'm not that techno savey so I think that would be easier. Lol

not saying it is anything wrong with being excited, but make sure you take everything slowly. again adding fish coral and everything seems have to happen the next day you got your tank running. but no, you don't have to, in some cases, you might have to wait for almost 3 to 6 months before you can put live stock in it. Please make sure your cycle is fully completed and stable, or you will find yourself in a lot of problem in future.

Back
Top Bottom