Lights, oh the wonderful lights.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SerLunchbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
So while i was decorating my tree and outdoors for lights about a month back, i was thinking about getting a new light for my aquarium. Here is the kick in the pants ... while i go out and see these lights that are $400+ i know they are great and all, but i can't see them REALLY being worth $400 or more. Hence comes my question, what should i REALLY look for in an aquarium light. Right now i am looking at a used light that has "4 bulbs 2 x 10,000k Daylight Bulbs, 2 x 10,000 Actinic Blue Bulbs and Acrylic Shield " ... since my tank is Freshwater, should i go with something like this or is it the wrong spectrum for FW tanks. Any info or a link to this would be awesomely appreciated as i really want to get better light into my tanks (i personally think that it looks dull at the moment and would like to brighten it up considerably)
Cheers

I forgot to mention that the light was a "48 inch JEBO AQUARIUM COMPACT LIGHT"
seemed pretty decent .. any info would be awesome ... also .. this light would be for a planted tank as well.

Should have been at the last big CAS auction....had one similar to that go for $50.

A nice light unit (especially for plants), but you can probably do better on a used price....like $140.

damnit ... I would have went to that auction if i didn't have to run the kitchen that day ... Have you ever heard of the JEBO company ... i don't know the company so i am not familiar with the lights that they put out ... i was also just looking at one that did the moonlight system as well ... but i THINK that is more for marine. Or am i jsut talking out my ass ... i am not familiar with lighting at all I think it was an orbital light ... Hey, if i ddidn't ask, i would probably kill everything in my tank.

I think that "Actinic Blue Bulbs" promotes nothing more than algea growth in FW aquariums.

And try to aim for 2watts per gallon or less or you will need CO2 to keep the tank properly balanced....

Moonlights are intended for corals and such but I don't see any problem with using them in FW tanks....

MOooooooose

not like i couldn't swap th lights out if it came to taht i think ... who knows what i will do .... i am crazy insane. That goes without saying since i work in a kitchen. its all like a happy dance when i get off work sometimes. i trot down the street going "happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy...."

so arctic blue bulbs does the algae thing eh? Hmmm ... I dunno anymore. I know i need a new light cause all my plants are just crapping out now (even with CO2 addition) ... I guess i will just look around or wait till march 13 for the next auction. IS that auction going to be a large one like before?

The March 13 auction is slated as a 500+ lot auction, so it should be easily as big.

One actinic with three regs will not produce any real algae, but does give the tank light a more 'white' balance.

Oh yes, I have more than heard of JEBO lights...they are very well thought of.

menagerie ... i am the ONLY tenant in my apartment complex with ANY lights out as of December 21 ... it is quite sad.
Oh yes, I have more than heard of JEBO lights...they are very well thought of.
Christian, i take it that is a good thing then? The other 2 that i could possibly get is a current USA and a Orbital ... my friend has a coralife light for his 90 gal but i really like the looks on the JEBo light. It comes with 2 blue and 2 reg. lights (looks like a U shaped bulb)

i am the ONLY tenant in my apartment complex with ANY lights out as of December 21 ... it is quite sad
That is sad. Trevor and I were walking our friends' dogs this evening and thought we would see some lights. They were few and far between :tongue:. We didn't walk long due to the cold and the dogs are grey hounds, even with their little jackets, they were quite chilly. After walking the dogs, we went straight home. There didnt't seem to be any fun lit houses aroung :(

I am quite disappointed with the lack of lights in the city. Ah well, when we eventually have a house, i am decorating all out like my grandfather used to do to his house! not one square centimeter was left without a light on it. excessive but worth it for the joy it brought to people ... anyways ... now i am back to the real purpose of the post

Lots of lights in my area (Mount Pleasant/Crescent Heights/Rosedale)....plus we have the big Lions light display on 14th St. If you really want a big light display, hit the big display in Airdrie....its massive and free.

Sorry to hijack, but do they have a good selection of aquariums and such at the auctions? I'm wondering if its worth the 8 hr drive to Calgary and check out this auction. I'm looking for a cheap(of course) 200 gal or there about reef tank and some lighting to go with it.

thanks
Ian

it would be best to ask Toirtis or menagerie as they have more experience in what the auctions hold. I would say yes but i really have no idea. and no reason it appologize ... we're all canadians here. Just gives us a beer or shine and we're all good! :lol:

easyian said:
Sorry to hijack, but do they have a good selection of aquariums and such at the auctions? I'm wondering if its worth the 8 hr drive to Calgary and check out this auction. I'm looking for a cheap(of course) 200 gal or there about reef tank and some lighting to go with it.

thanks
Ian

Lots up to around 60 gallons, but only very rarely anything bigger than that (too much work to haul). But the real deals are in the Calgary Bargain Finder newspaper...you can get it online: http://www.buysell.com/index.asp?r=26&ud=false

There are often absolutely incredible deals in there...well worth the trip from Kamloops (which, incidentally, I will be visiting in about a week...need anything? :wink: ).

They do have a few good deals loke the 4' tank with metal halides for $1200.00 the only problem is I already have a 90 gal and I want BIGGER. Just this obsession I have. That and beer are my only two vises.

easyian said:
They do have a few good deals loke the 4' tank with metal halides for $1200.00 the only problem is I already have a 90 gal and I want BIGGER. Just this obsession I have. That and beer are my only two vises.

Keep watching...occasionally (or actually, fairly frequently), someone will be moving and will have a large tank/system for sale quite cheaply....in recent memory I can recall about 8 systems of 240-450 gallons, all going for below $1400 each.

Back
Top Bottom