new pleco to get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SerLunchbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, since my new light is being shipped VERY SOON, i am anticipating any algae problems i may potentially have (plus i want a new fish or 2). So, i currently have a common pleco and i do NOT want him to get too much bigger, last time i tried to measure him he was somewhere about 5" up to 6" (i think) ... hard to get an accurate measurement of that fish. Anyways, he is the MAX size i can keep in my tank (would like to go smaller but hey, he is eating plant life now it seems). So what would you guys suggest for an algae eater. I have seen otto's, bristlenose plecs, rubbermouths, even bulldogs. Also any store you know of that carries more then 3 types of plecos would be nice

TIA

I prefer the bristlenose plecs since they stay nice and small (ours are year old, only 2.5-3 inches in a 90g) and they do a great job on algae in the tank. Unfortunately, you rarely see them though. Not sure where to get them typically, I think all of ours are from tanks alot. ours is planted tank though, so algae is kept at bay from all the plants more than the fish...

Chums has some great little albino bristlenoses for $10 each, or you can get regular bristlenoses from Riverfront this coming Saturday for $5 each.

well, got a nice blue/grey rubber mouth pleco. nice and small it stays, got it at a steal too. I saw them in other stores for like $15 or so. I got this one for apx $5 at riverfront (gawd i love the discount from CAS i get there!). He seems to be a bit nocturnal tho ... that is all good in the long run. still, it is an awesome looking pleco and it is really keeping the tank clean (my 7 or 8" common plec is just interested in plant life now, screw the algae). As soon as i can get a photo of the new pleco i will post it up.

Back
Top Bottom