Ottawa region fish stores

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyrules

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anybody know good fishs store in the ottawa region ? ( Montreal is too far ) I know of Big Al's and Petsmart but i`m planning to buy a tank between 55 Gallon and 75 Gallons depending on the price.

Hi there! In this area, for marine fishes, you basically have 3 places: Big Als in Gloucester, Innes Road, Big Als in the West, Kanata Centrum, and Marinescape on Carling avenue. That's it. For freshwater fishes, the two Big Als carry them too, but not Marinescape. Places like les Galleries de Hull have a pet store if I recall correctly. Also the St-Laurent shopping mall has a freshwater fish store. There is also another large pet store, near Rona on Innes road, that also carries freshwater fishes. The place seems OK. Unfortunately, Montreal is the better place to buy quality marine fishes. PM me if you want more details.

Bonsoir

8)

Yeah i plan to go to Big Al's because it is closer to me and the only dedicated fish store in my sector. I usually go to La Niche in Gatineau which is even closer but it is only a pet store. I buy my livestock there because they have a large choice of fishs. The big pet store you are talking about is PetSmart. Anyway Merci pour l'info !

Where is La Niche? I haven't heard of that store in the Ottawa area. I've only seen Big Al's and Petsmart.

fantastic! Thanks a lot.

So far, the best fish store I have seen in Ottawa was Big Al's. The Petsmart is alright, but I got some fish from there, once, and they ended up with an internal parasite and just wasted away.

Is the selection at La Niche better than at Big Al's?

Not really. Big Als is clearly bigger than La niche on fish selection but they have many aquariums and are going to expand in the next local to their side where they are to accomodate Salt aquariums which they dont have right now. I usually buy my fishs there since it is closer to where i live but the fishs are all in excellent condition. Note that it is a Petshop rather than a fish store they dont have only fishs.

I went to La Niche and you are right. They don't have any where near as many fish as Big Al's, but I did like the plant selection they have. I bought myself a nice piece of driftwood with moss growing on it. My rams seem to enjoy the new addition.

I also live in Ottawa, Ontario.
I found a dealer for Salt Water fish that has not been mentioned:
Aqua Valley Aquarium Services: aquavalley.ca

After a couple problems with other places I was lucky to find this place I have bought exclusively from him for some time and the fish are always healthy and he has a great variety of species. As well he is not expensive.
I would not consider going anywhere else. (Lucky for me he is also close by only a couple blocks away from where I live.) I first discovered this dealer when he was working from his basement before he opened this store (he was recommended to me from an employee of Big Als years ago when I said I wanted to set up a new tank) I go there for advice supplies and fish of course-- I see he also makes custom set-ups. You can't go wrong there.

1158 Ogilvie Road 613 741-0665

Back
Top Bottom