Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2004, 09:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

This Is For Canadians only?

Hey Everyone? I hope someone can help me. Here's the question. Where in canada can you buy Aquarium Sand ( I think it is Silica Sand, Is that spelled right?)? The problem I live in a smaller town home depot and thing' thike that. no petsmart or anything like?

Any Ideas?[/u][/b]

Old 01-24-2004, 09:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Have you tried ordering on-line? Where/ how do you get your other fish supplies?

50g SeaClear SW - 1 Pelewensis Butterfly, 1 Maroon Clown Fish, 1 Chocolate Chip Starfish and 1 Tiger-striped Fancy Serpent Sea Star

30g tall acrylic FW - 2 Angelfish, 1 Mono Argentus, 2 Chinese Algae Eaters, 1 clown loach & 1 Columbian Shark
Old 01-24-2004, 09:34 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Take a look at our canada regional forum and post there. That forum is full of canadian members and it will probably catch their eye posting there about this question.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 09:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

we have a pet valu and smal chain stores but nothing major. and will not order online must you go into the store and look myself. plus don't know what I am looking for?
Old 01-25-2004, 04:15 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

The sand in my tank came from Revy. I just bought playground sand since its already steril so kids can play in it. It was a huge bag for like $3-4 and all I did was wash and rinse it really well lots and then put it in my tanks. All my fish are doing just fine and my clown loaches love to play in it. Look at my gallery if you want to see how this sand looks in the tank. You can probably buy it at any home type store, Home Depot and Revy are two that I know of.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You can buy silica sand at places that have oxygen...like they fill up tanks and stuff. Its for sandblasting.

I was going to get it but didn't know if the silica was good/bad for fish.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Can you do vacuums with sand though? And my better half just informed me that you have to be careful with silica, toxic to your lungs if inhaled. 8O
2 Blue Tetras, 2 Angelfish, 2 clown loaches,
1 Tail-Light Tetra,
2 Otocinclus, 1 Glass cat fish

15 Gallon -1 Fancy Guppies - 15 Guppy Fry
nemokeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 01:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes you can do vacums with sand. I just vac into a pail and any sand that gets sucked up goes into the pail. I rinse the leftover sand and let it dry then add it back to my tank. Little more work but for the look it adds to your tank it is worth it.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:41 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

nemokeeper, silica only cause problem if it is a very fine dust (has to be a specific size to get into the alveoli - forgot the exact micron size - can check my pulmonology text if you're really interested ).

Good old beach sand (also silicates!) is too coarse to be inhaled to cause a problem. I would be careful about handling the diatomatous earth used in water polishing, tho. That stuff is just the right size to give you silicosis.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try not to use sand blasting sand. It isn't the silica part that is dangerous but the fact that it is very sharp pieces, essential for sand blasting. You need play sand that most home hardware or home improvment stores carry. And for freshwater you want silica sand or else it can mess your ph if you aren't careful.

It could be hard to get a certain times of year as it is meant for children's sand boxes.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com