Toronto tap water quality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cafe Jeff

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello fellow Toronto fishers,
I have just set up a 55 gallon fresh water aquarium that I hope to populate with African cichlids. I kept South African cichlids a bunch of years ago and had little problem with the tap d'eau here. Just a little dechlorinator and time seemed to work out fine. However, my father-in-law who just recently visited commented that he could smell the chlorine. I can't, but maybe I have just become used to it. (I do shower, once a month whether I need to or not.) With Walkerton, the strange summer weather, and so on, what is Toronto tap water like these days. Is it more chorinated than it used to be. Are there other things to watch out for?
All the best. Jeff
I suppose I could just ask my LFS, but I trust you guys better.

Im also very intrested in that... and if anyone knows what the tap water is like in Hamilton it would be helpful? :)

Your municipality should have a website that posts water quality, but hopefully someone in the know will come along to fill you in.

Your post caught my eye because I just finished some water changes and noticed a much more pronounced chlorine smell today than usual - I normally can't smell it at all. I believe water quality fluctuates as the system encounters this or that issue, so it may be more heavily chlorinated from time to time.

That's an excellent idea.
I'll see if I can find it. That said, I am still keen to hear what people with fish have to say rather than just what the city posts the water SHOULD be.
There were some scandals in the past with regard to people becoming sick and dieing from Ontario water due to a lack of proper chlorination. I just wonder if the pendulum has swung too far the other way.
Jeff
Me. Can't smell 'nuthing.

Hi fellow Southern Ontarios,
I did some googling around and was unable to find listings for Toronto water quality. I am pretty sure they are using Chloramine. I still can't smell it, but straight out of the tap I am getting nearly 1 ppm.
Have I got this straight: out of the tap unless they use Chloramine I should have zero amonia? Jeff

Back
Top Bottom