US vs CANADIAN Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rejoice

Aquarium Advice Regular
No one's posted anything here in a while, so I thought I'd through a thought/beef out for fun.

I was a dummy and accidently went to www.bigalsonline.com instead of ca. I couldn't believe the price differences. 10 OZ of the Bio-Chem Zorb filter media from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals is only $5.50 USD...Canadian Price..$17. That blows chunks!!!!

Have you ran into this? Why is Canada so pricey? I think I'll blame gas prices.

[/i]

It is very common for US pricing to be much cheaper than Canadian. Part of it is exchange rate and part of it is supply and demand and location. One thing the Can site has is free shipping for amounts over $35 which the americans don't have.

...although exchange isn't much of it these days....only $1.10 CDN to each US dollar. Much of it does not make any logical sense at all...especially Canadian products that are 30%-70% more expensive here than in the US.

I agree that exchange isn't much these days, but also it is the location and supply and demand. In the US the prices are better for most items, including car parts for example. It's just not going to happen for us anytime soon. It would be cheaper to have a relative or a friend in the states order from BigAl's and ship it up. :roll:

Zagz said:
I agree that exchange isn't much these days, but also it is the location and supply and demand. In the US the prices are better for most items, including car parts for example.

Yes, but often for no good reason. For instance, why can I buy a number of goods, many produced here in Canada by Canadian companies, in the US for considerably less than I can at an outlet store in the Canadian city they are made?

In some cases, federal taxes are to blame, in others, it can be much more difficult to determine.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/

Ships to Canada, From Canada with a lot lower prices on almost every item.

I won't comment on the actual thread as I've already ranted about how Canadians are taken advantage of with pricing.

a note on exchange rate tho. Why is it our dollar is worth 15c / $ more now and the prices of imports didn't fluctuate to respect this. but the price of oil goes up 1$/barrel and the gas price goes up astronomically?

Back
Top Bottom