Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 2
Water changes

I do a weekly 25% water changes I have sand and find it more difficult removing the waste I use a python any suggestions
__________________

__________________
90gallons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
epoole.j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 29
Get a canister filter. Sand + canister = no waste ever. Gravel traps a lot of poop. But poop on the sand gets pushed away by the canister filters current
__________________

__________________
epoole.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: UPSTATE,NY
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoole.j View Post
Get a canister filter. Sand + canister = no waste ever. Gravel traps a lot of poop. But poop on the sand gets pushed away by the canister filters current
How often do you clean the canister then?
__________________
tunamanphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
flitabout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pipestone, Minnesota
Posts: 1,914
I'm lazy and do mine once every couple of months unless my nitrates go to high. I also run hobs which I do every week with my 50% changes my tank is way over filtered. personally I don't think you can have to much filtering as long as your fish don't mind the current.
__________________
flitabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BBradbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,558
Tank Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90gallons View Post
I do a weekly 25% water changes I have sand and find it more difficult removing the waste I use a python any suggestions
Hello 90...

Keeping the tank water clear of dissolved fish and plant waste is the most important requirement if you're going to keep fish healthy. This is why the hobby is often called "The Water Keeping Hobby". Most of the tank is the water. So, even if you have a large tank, you need to change most of the water at least every week to 10 days, because the fish are living in the same water they do all their business in too.

If you're an aggressive water changer, you don't need high end, expensive filters. For a 90 G, you can use three to four dual sponge filters and a good air pump that will mainly agitate the water to maintain good oxygen levels. The water changer is the true filter because you remove the old, toxic water and replace it with pure, treated tap water.

Save the $200.00 a canister filter will cost with it's additional media cost and time consuming cleaning and spend about $60.00 for some sponge filters and air pump, with no media to buy and easy cleaning. Both will do the job equally well of moving the water through a filter system and removing a small amount of dissolved fish waste. But, work up to the point you change most of the water, a 25 percent water change still leaves 75 percent of the old, toxic water in the tank.

B
__________________
"Fear not, my young apprentice. Just change the tank water."
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello 90...

Keeping the tank water clear of dissolved fish and plant waste is the most important requirement if you're going to keep fish healthy. This is why the hobby is often called "The Water Keeping Hobby". Most of the tank is the water. So, even if you have a large tank, you need to change most of the water at least every week to 10 days, because the fish are living in the same water they do all their business in too.

If you're an aggressive water changer, you don't need high end, expensive filters. For a 90 G, you can use three to four dual sponge filters and a good air pump that will mainly agitate the water to maintain good oxygen levels. The water changer is the true filter because you remove the old, toxic water and replace it with pure, treated tap water.

Save the $200.00 a canister filter will cost with it's additional media cost and time consuming cleaning and spend about $60.00 for some sponge filters and air pump, with no media to buy and easy cleaning. Both will do the job equally well of moving the water through a filter system and removing a small amount of dissolved fish waste. But, work up to the point you change most of the water, a 25 percent water change still leaves 75 percent of the old, toxic water in the tank.

B
+1--excellent advice.
__________________
Discusluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BBradbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90gallons View Post
I do a weekly 25% water changes I have sand and find it more difficult removing the waste I use a python any suggestions
Hello again 90...

Apologies. Got on my soap box about water changes and didn't answer your question about the sand. Actually, you don't need to vacuum the bottom material at all. All the waste material produced by the fish and whatever else lives in the water, will dissolve. So, by simply removing the water, you'll remove whatever has dissolved in it. My suggestion is, don't fret over vacuuming and disturbing the bottom material, just remove and replace most of the tank water every week to 10 days to maintain a healthy water chemistry.

B
__________________
"Fear not, my young apprentice. Just change the tank water."
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
epoole.j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunamanphd View Post
How often do you clean the canister then?
For my 150 gallon I clean once a month... its a pain.. for 55 gal and 36 gal clean every 2 weeks. I have noticed a huge difference when siphoning. I used to get clouds of food and waste. Now I just stir the sand a little when doin a water change. No waste ever though
__________________

__________________
epoole.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ate, change, water, water change, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using distilled water instead of tap water for water changes. Camogirl28 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 2 01-04-2014 08:33 AM
changes changes changes Benjithecookiemonster Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 6 06-17-2008 02:26 PM
How do you prepare water for water changes? BryanN Saltwater Reef Aquaria 4 06-10-2003 07:32 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.