Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > Regional Forums > Canada
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Water changes

I do a weekly 25% water changes I have sand and find it more difficult removing the waste I use a python any suggestions

Old 12-28-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Get a canister filter. Sand + canister = no waste ever. Gravel traps a lot of poop. But poop on the sand gets pushed away by the canister filters current

Old 12-29-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoole.j View Post
Get a canister filter. Sand + canister = no waste ever. Gravel traps a lot of poop. But poop on the sand gets pushed away by the canister filters current
How often do you clean the canister then?
Old 12-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm lazy and do mine once every couple of months unless my nitrates go to high. I also run hobs which I do every week with my 50% changes my tank is way over filtered. personally I don't think you can have to much filtering as long as your fish don't mind the current.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90gallons View Post
I do a weekly 25% water changes I have sand and find it more difficult removing the waste I use a python any suggestions
Hello 90...

Keeping the tank water clear of dissolved fish and plant waste is the most important requirement if you're going to keep fish healthy. This is why the hobby is often called "The Water Keeping Hobby". Most of the tank is the water. So, even if you have a large tank, you need to change most of the water at least every week to 10 days, because the fish are living in the same water they do all their business in too.

If you're an aggressive water changer, you don't need high end, expensive filters. For a 90 G, you can use three to four dual sponge filters and a good air pump that will mainly agitate the water to maintain good oxygen levels. The water changer is the true filter because you remove the old, toxic water and replace it with pure, treated tap water.

Save the $200.00 a canister filter will cost with it's additional media cost and time consuming cleaning and spend about $60.00 for some sponge filters and air pump, with no media to buy and easy cleaning. Both will do the job equally well of moving the water through a filter system and removing a small amount of dissolved fish waste. But, work up to the point you change most of the water, a 25 percent water change still leaves 75 percent of the old, toxic water in the tank.

B
Old 12-30-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello 90...

Keeping the tank water clear of dissolved fish and plant waste is the most important requirement if you're going to keep fish healthy. This is why the hobby is often called "The Water Keeping Hobby". Most of the tank is the water. So, even if you have a large tank, you need to change most of the water at least every week to 10 days, because the fish are living in the same water they do all their business in too.

If you're an aggressive water changer, you don't need high end, expensive filters. For a 90 G, you can use three to four dual sponge filters and a good air pump that will mainly agitate the water to maintain good oxygen levels. The water changer is the true filter because you remove the old, toxic water and replace it with pure, treated tap water.

Save the $200.00 a canister filter will cost with it's additional media cost and time consuming cleaning and spend about $60.00 for some sponge filters and air pump, with no media to buy and easy cleaning. Both will do the job equally well of moving the water through a filter system and removing a small amount of dissolved fish waste. But, work up to the point you change most of the water, a 25 percent water change still leaves 75 percent of the old, toxic water in the tank.

B
+1--excellent advice.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90gallons View Post
Hello again 90...

Apologies. Got on my soap box about water changes and didn't answer your question about the sand. Actually, you don't need to vacuum the bottom material at all. All the waste material produced by the fish and whatever else lives in the water, will dissolve. So, by simply removing the water, you'll remove whatever has dissolved in it. My suggestion is, don't fret over vacuuming and disturbing the bottom material, just remove and replace most of the tank water every week to 10 days to maintain a healthy water chemistry.

B
Old 01-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunamanphd View Post
How often do you clean the canister then?
For my 150 gallon I clean once a month... its a pain.. for 55 gal and 36 gal clean every 2 weeks. I have noticed a huge difference when siphoning. I used to get clouds of food and waste. Now I just stir the sand a little when doin a water change. No waste ever though

Tags
ate, change, water, water change, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com