10 gallon, not sure if I overstocked.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishkeeper26 said:
Overstocking isn't just about swimming room, it's also about bioload. In a 10 gallon tank you have incompatible fish, and there isn't enough room for beneficial bacteria to build up.

If your not going to listen to what people are telling you, what's the point in posting on a fish forum? People here have been in this hobby for decades, and your ignoring them. If you didnt want others opinions why did you start a thread asking if your overstocked?

I agreee! Haha but watev any other questions? Or should someone close this thread?

There is no need to attack the OP. We can give advice, but at the end of the day it is up to him if he wants to listen to it.
just to clear up as of now I have a 1.5 inch hdg, a dwarf gourami, 3 platies, 3 guppys 1 being a feeder, betta, 4 rasboras, ghost catfish, baby cichlid, pleco, snail, 8 ghost shrimp. Ive had this tank stocked for months but the overall timey tanks been cycled is well over 2 years. I stopped using amonnia lock it just clouded up my tank, soon as I just let the tank sit and be all the problems went away and my levels were fine. I DO NOT have a problem with fish loss, nor have bought anymore fish. I understand everything yall are telling me, and I know the rules of a tank and this and that. I dont have a problem with carbon but its been about 2 or so months since I changed it last. The overstocked question was more opinion then question. I think my tank would have shown some signs of distress by now and fish dropping.
I still believe you are overstocked. The baby cichlid is a yellow lab, it grows six inches long, aggressive, and could easily kill all the fish in there.
The ghost catfish needs a school. They are sensitive fish, and it should always be taken into consideration that schooling fish NEED schools, especially sensitive ones. Also grows four inches long.
Three platies has a MASSIVE bioload, as in a lot of POOP and WASTE. If you have too big of a bioload eventually your bacteria won't be able to convert it fast enough on time.
No pleco belongs in a ten gallon. Depending on what kind it is, tank sizes for it could range anywhere from 20 to 120 gallons for the fish. Also has a massive bioload, which is one of the reasons it needs a big tank (to support its constant pooping).
Two gouramis in that small of a tank leads to agression between the two. To keep them together I'd suggest a bigger tank so they have more room to spread their aggression out and establish territories, like in a twenty gallon.
I would suggest keeping one of the platies, the guppies, the rasbora school, and the betta in the ten gallon tank. Although not perfect it would be alright.
Find out what kind of pleco it is.
Try to find a home for the cichlid. It may look cute now but eventually it will kill all your fish.
Give the glass catfish, platies, and gouramis their own tank with a school. If you give them a chance, they're pretty awesome fish.
The above is both fact and opinion. The part about the fish is true. The suggestsions are just suggestion and opinion. Do what you want with it but at the end of the day, your choice :)

You put up your tank with and asked if we thought you were overstocked. We said yes and gave you the reasons why. That is not an attack.
Unsubsrcibed.

Sorry bro but you are overstocked. I would say you were fine if the fish werent still gonna grow. You need to research the fish you are buying. Ghost cats like to school. A pleco will grow to be bigger than the tank literally. I am kind of suprised that you ask for opinions and then act offended when it is given.

so I bought a 29 gallon tank and set it up. Im not sure what exactly gallon rate the filter is but its a whisper and takes the 20-60 gallon cartridges. The flow is enough to have a good current. Id say 30-40. I put a 10 gallon filter at the other side that has been in a cycled tank and has a lot of algae on it. poured 30 ml of bacteria start in with 2 gallons of water from the 10. idk what other fish im adding but thinking about using the 10 as a breeder for betta or my all-green cobra guppy. Im doing a fishless cycle.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111002_221608.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111002_221608.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 119
so I bought a 29 gallon tank and set it up. Im not sure what exactly gallon rate the filter is but its a whisper and takes the 20-60 gallon cartridges. The flow is enough to have a good current. Id say 30-40. I put a 10 gallon filter at the other side that has been in a cycled tank and has a lot of algae on it. poured 30 ml of bacteria start in with 2 gallons of water from the 10. idk what other fish im adding but thinking about using the 10 as a breeder for betta or my all-green cobra guppy. Im doing a fishless cycle.
Glad to see you upgraded :)

GodFan said:
Glad to see you upgraded :)

I got 3 filters, tank, 5 heaters, rock cave, fry net, filter replacements, 3 air pumps, chemicals, a lot of stuff off craigslist for 25 bucks. Thinking about some rainbow fish along with the rest.

bruinsbro1997 said:
If it's rainbowfish only threadfins or furcatas.

Im little confused by your reply, are you saying if I only put rainbow fish alone, or JUST rainbowfish with threadfin or furcatas?

D-vanhorn90 said:
Im little confused by your reply, are you saying if I only put rainbow fish alone, or JUST rainbowfish with threadfin or furcatas?

No, I mean those are the only rainbows you could get for a 29 gallon, maybe Gertude rainbows and a few others I'm forgetting. All others get too big and active for 29 gallons.

Ah I got you now. My water already smells like aquarium water, im thinking that 10 gallon filter already packed with BB is doing pretty well. And it got cloudy yestarday and today its clearer but im still watching waiting.

heres a picture of it all set up

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111005_041649.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111005_041649.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 193
that is totally fine but I do question your taste in decor! j/k

is that an in-tank filter? if so you may want to consider an airator before adding too much more fish. I dont use one myself, but doesnt look like your tank has much waterflow. you are fine right now, though.

edit:
just wanted to note, if you ever see all your fish at the top of the water, it means they are gasping for air.
or eating lunch.

potatochobit said:
that is totally fine but I do question your taste in decor! j/k

is that an in-tank filter? if so you may want to consider an airator before adding too much more fish. I dont use one myself, but doesnt look like your tank has much waterflow. you are fine right now, though.

edit:
just wanted to note, if you ever see all your fish at the top of the water, it means they are gasping for air.
or eating lunch.

yes, its a canister filter but I have a cascading 20-30 gallon on the other side. The canister was in my frog tank and is packed with BB. I added water from the 10 gallon to the 29 and everything is well. The current is actually pretty good, you cant see it in the photo. Thanks for the concern, the other intake tube is clear its right above the center coral just to its left.

As for the fish at the top gasping, im aware of that, but then again the water flow leads to the gasping for air, thus you not seeing the intake tube. Take another look and see if you can see it.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111006_174347.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111006_174347.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 124
  • ForumRunner_20111006_174417.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111006_174417.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 102
  • ForumRunner_20111006_174539.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111006_174539.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 152
After some time of planning heres my tank as of now, due to the urgent planting from the delivery in the cold, early xmas present. This is my tank planted.

Current stock-
6 harlequin rasboras
1 coral red platy
1 tiger platy
1 sunburst platy
3 blue platys - 1 male 2 females 1 baby
1 Baby silver molly
1 Betta
1 opaline gourami
1 Bosemans rainbow fish
1 dwarf rainbow fish
2 swords male female
4 guppys 2 male 2 female
1 ghost catfish

I realized im about full capacity. I have other tanks Im starting to breed in. about 31 baby green cobra guppys. Soon to have pineapple sword tails and blue platys. Maybe even blue V tail guppys. Flying V's to me.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111224_003546.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111224_003546.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 97
  • ForumRunner_20111224_003702.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111224_003702.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 128
  • ForumRunner_20111224_003756.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111224_003756.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 102
  • ForumRunner_20111224_003933.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111224_003933.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 111
D-vanhorn90 said:
After some time of planning heres my tank as of now, due to the urgent planting from the delivery in the cold, early xmas present. This is my tank planted.

Current stock-
6 harlequin rasboras
1 coral red platy
1 tiger platy
1 sunburst platy
1 Baby silver molly
1 Betta
1 opaline gourami
1 Bosemans rainbow fish
1 dwarf rainbow fish
2 swords male female
4 guppys 2 male 2 female
1 ghost catfish

I realized im about full capacity. I have other tanks Im starting to breed in. about 31 baby green cobra guppys. Soon to have pineapple sword tails and blue platys. Maybe even blue V tail guppys. Flying V's to me.

Your tank is EXTREMLY overstocked. You have 7 platys/mollys which is a crazy bioload. Not to mention the sword tails and opaline gourami. You really need to rehome half that list

this is a 29 gallon high not a 10 gallon like the post says. I keep up water changes and do spot vacuums when needed. My ammonia never gets above .25 which is ok for a steady bb food supply. Tanks been up for a good while and was seeded immediately. Havent lost a fish yet and none appear to be under signs of any ailments besides a little algae on the walls and no aggression.

D-vanhorn90 said:
this is a 29 gallon high not a 10 gallon like the post says. I keep up water changes and do spot vacuums when needed. My ammonia never gets above .25 which is ok for a steady bb food supply. Tanks been up for a good while and was seeded immediately. Havent lost a fish yet and none appear to be under signs of any ailments besides a little algae on the walls and no aggression.

Even for a 29 its overstocked. What you dont know is that mollies and platys have huge bioloads, and those alone stock the tank

Current stock-
6 harlequin rasboras
1 coral red platy
1 tiger platy
1 sunburst platy
1 Baby silver molly
1 Betta
1 opaline gourami
1 Bosemans rainbow fish
1 dwarf rainbow fish
2 swords male female
4 guppys 2 male 2 female
1 ghost catfish
It's not the best setup, but it's not the worst either.
-Your boesmani rainbowfish will outgrow the tank.
-If this dwarf rainbow fish is melanotaenia praecox (praecox rainbow) it'll outgrow the tank too.
-That's quite a bit of platies and swords. What's your filtration and water change schedule?
-Betta/gourami/guppy combo is sort of bad news. Your betta and gourami could get extremely aggressive toward each other and your betta may mistake your guppies for rival males because of their same long finnage and colorful patterns on them.

Until we know your water change schedule, filtration, and nitrate concentration, there is no definite answer to if this is overstocked or not bioload wise.

Back
Top Bottom