Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkeeper26
Overstocking isn't just about swimming room, it's also about bioload. In a 10 gallon tank you have incompatible fish, and there isn't enough room for beneficial bacteria to build up.

If your not going to listen to what people are telling you, what's the point in posting on a fish forum? People here have been in this hobby for decades, and your ignoring them. If you didnt want others opinions why did you start a thread asking if your overstocked?
I agreee! Haha but watev any other questions? Or should someone close this thread?

Old 09-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is no need to attack the OP. We can give advice, but at the end of the day it is up to him if he wants to listen to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-vanhorn90 View Post
just to clear up as of now I have a 1.5 inch hdg, a dwarf gourami, 3 platies, 3 guppys 1 being a feeder, betta, 4 rasboras, ghost catfish, baby cichlid, pleco, snail, 8 ghost shrimp. Ive had this tank stocked for months but the overall timey tanks been cycled is well over 2 years. I stopped using amonnia lock it just clouded up my tank, soon as I just let the tank sit and be all the problems went away and my levels were fine. I DO NOT have a problem with fish loss, nor have bought anymore fish. I understand everything yall are telling me, and I know the rules of a tank and this and that. I dont have a problem with carbon but its been about 2 or so months since I changed it last. The overstocked question was more opinion then question. I think my tank would have shown some signs of distress by now and fish dropping.
I still believe you are overstocked. The baby cichlid is a yellow lab, it grows six inches long, aggressive, and could easily kill all the fish in there.
The ghost catfish needs a school. They are sensitive fish, and it should always be taken into consideration that schooling fish NEED schools, especially sensitive ones. Also grows four inches long.
Three platies has a MASSIVE bioload, as in a lot of POOP and WASTE. If you have too big of a bioload eventually your bacteria won't be able to convert it fast enough on time.
No pleco belongs in a ten gallon. Depending on what kind it is, tank sizes for it could range anywhere from 20 to 120 gallons for the fish. Also has a massive bioload, which is one of the reasons it needs a big tank (to support its constant pooping).
Two gouramis in that small of a tank leads to agression between the two. To keep them together I'd suggest a bigger tank so they have more room to spread their aggression out and establish territories, like in a twenty gallon.
I would suggest keeping one of the platies, the guppies, the rasbora school, and the betta in the ten gallon tank. Although not perfect it would be alright.
Find out what kind of pleco it is.
Try to find a home for the cichlid. It may look cute now but eventually it will kill all your fish.
Give the glass catfish, platies, and gouramis their own tank with a school. If you give them a chance, they're pretty awesome fish.
The above is both fact and opinion. The part about the fish is true. The suggestsions are just suggestion and opinion. Do what you want with it but at the end of the day, your choice

Old 09-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #23
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

You put up your tank with and asked if we thought you were overstocked. We said yes and gave you the reasons why. That is not an attack.
Unsubsrcibed.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry bro but you are overstocked. I would say you were fine if the fish werent still gonna grow. You need to research the fish you are buying. Ghost cats like to school. A pleco will grow to be bigger than the tank literally. I am kind of suprised that you ask for opinions and then act offended when it is given.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

so I bought a 29 gallon tank and set it up. Im not sure what exactly gallon rate the filter is but its a whisper and takes the 20-60 gallon cartridges. The flow is enough to have a good current. Id say 30-40. I put a 10 gallon filter at the other side that has been in a cycled tank and has a lot of algae on it. poured 30 ml of bacteria start in with 2 gallons of water from the 10. idk what other fish im adding but thinking about using the 10 as a breeder for betta or my all-green cobra guppy. Im doing a fishless cycle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111002_221608.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	54680  
Old 10-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-vanhorn90 View Post
so I bought a 29 gallon tank and set it up. Im not sure what exactly gallon rate the filter is but its a whisper and takes the 20-60 gallon cartridges. The flow is enough to have a good current. Id say 30-40. I put a 10 gallon filter at the other side that has been in a cycled tank and has a lot of algae on it. poured 30 ml of bacteria start in with 2 gallons of water from the 10. idk what other fish im adding but thinking about using the 10 as a breeder for betta or my all-green cobra guppy. Im doing a fishless cycle.
Glad to see you upgraded
Old 10-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan
Glad to see you upgraded
I got 3 filters, tank, 5 heaters, rock cave, fry net, filter replacements, 3 air pumps, chemicals, a lot of stuff off craigslist for 25 bucks. Thinking about some rainbow fish along with the rest.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool bro. You can get another tank now lol
Old 10-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it's rainbowfish only threadfins or furcatas.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997
If it's rainbowfish only threadfins or furcatas.
Im little confused by your reply, are you saying if I only put rainbow fish alone, or JUST rainbowfish with threadfin or furcatas?

Tags
10 gallon, overstock, overstocked

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com