Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

10" H. Vittatus on trade

Traded a double fixture 36" T5HO and a 12oz co2 setup for plant tank for a 10" Hydrocynus Vittatus. Also I just purchased some Orange pumpkin shrimps for my 6 gallon live plant shrimp tank.

These shrimps kinda pricey found them on ebay I had to have em..

Blue Thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Nice dude, I'm anxiously awaiting mine. It's on hold till my tank comes in. What are you planning on feeding yours?

Old 12-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #3

the fish or the shrimp?
the Tiger will get live the shrimp will get flakes and any algae they find
Old 12-14-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tiger was what I was reffering to. Good call on live food, who wants an awesome fish like that to feed pellets to, it's all about watching the carnage lol. I would recommend breeding feeder fish for it. I've been doing loads of research on feeding live and would have to discourage feeding goldfish or the common feeder minnows. Here's why, those common feeders contain an enzyme called thiaminase that leads to vitamin b1 deficiency, if memory serves it actually breaks down thiamin(vitamin b1). I personally am going to start breeding guppies, they don't carry this enzyme. In the meantime I will be getting minnows and gut loading them before feeding and will try some other stuff, bloodworms, shrimp etc to combat the thiaminase. It's not a big concern if your fish is getting the vitamin in other foods as they do in nature. Awesome shrimp too
Old 12-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #5

I read about that thiaminase. But not much else I can feed at the large feeder goldfish size that's readily available and relatively cheap. Small rosy are just too small have to eat alot of them. Breeding feeder guppies or platies is not really practical for me. To be able to keep a constant supply I'd have to have several tanks with lots of breeding going on with babies reaching adult size would take a big breeding project I don't have the space for. Well I gut load my GF with quality flake and pellets if that helps. Do fish need Vitamin B. What does vitamin B do for fish. goldfish have been a staple live food for many years. Really I have not noticed any effects of my fish who ate it in the past. wonder if just adding a vitamin supplement to the water would fill that vitamin B deficiency.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

well from what i have read it can be fatal if the diet is strictly thiaminase carrying fish. if its an occasional thing its ok. HOLE IN THE HEAD + THIAMINASE - What you need to know!!!!!! [Archive] - MonsterFishKeepers.com
check this link out. i hear ya on the breeding thing, it will be a pain but in the long run it will pay off i think. only problem is guppies being small
Old 12-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #7

Hole-n-head is from poor water quality. Not just from goldfish though feeding a lot of GF does get your water filthy fast. If your not keeping up with water changes then your water quality will go down quick. I seen fish that just eat dry foods, pellets get hole-n-head disease so its not from just GF.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

thiaminase being linked to hith is purely his theory. im just trying to help out and pass along the info but its your decision not mine. i wouldlike to see a video of that monster taking out a GF, i never get sick of it lol.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #9

If there was another feeder fish the size of a large GF at the same cost readily available I be all over it. But got to use whats available. Hopefully I can get them to eat some market shrimp or cut fish. My Goliath has eaten cut fish before so I'm hopeful I can get the Vittatus to eat it.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hear ya there, mine is small yet so I will be in the same boat. Hopefully by then I'll have loads of guppies to feed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com