10g tank problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookelynnb

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10g tank I've had set up for about 3 weeks now. I'm very new at this and after letting it do a fish less cycle for a week or so the pet store guy suggested getting a goldfish and 2 zebra danios since they were hearty fish. He told me this would speed the process up and now I've had nothing but troubles. My cycle is moving extremely slow and I have no clue what do to, especially since I have nowhere for the fish to go! I have gotten about 4 water tests and they said my ammonia is a little high but it isn't too high. Why isn't it moving to nitrite yet?

Any suggestions? Help!

Did you do anything with the tank for the first week, or just let the water run? Unfortunately, it sounds like you got some really bad advice. Just letting the filters run doesn't actually cycle the tank. The cycling process really refers to building healthy bacteria colonies to process the ammonia and nitrites into less toxic nitrates, which are removed by water changes. There are a couple of good articles on this site, ill see if I can find the link.

Are you planning on keeping these fish after the cycle, or did you jut get them based on his recommendation? Goldfish are dirty, get too big for a 10 gallon, and have different temperature requirements than tropicals, so they really shouldn't be kept together. And some people will tell you danios are too active for a 10 gallon, and need a bigger tank. If you're interested in doing a fish less cycle, you may want to return them and just use pure ammonia, or one of the other methods.

If these fish fit into your final stocking plan (see cautions above) you'll have to do daily testing and water changes to keep your water parameters at safe levels. I recommend Seachem Prime, it detoxifies the ammonia so it won't harm your fish, but will still be available for the bacteria to feed on. You'll still have to do frequent water changes, but it'll be less harmful to the fish in the meantime. The cycling process can take weeks, or even months. You also want to make sure you're adding a dechlorinator to your tap water when you do water changes. (Prime will work for this.) Otherwise the chlorine in the water will both harm the fish, and kill off any good bacteria you're trying to grow.

I didn't know about cycling when I set up my tank, and it resulted in many dead fish for me, and months of battling unhealthy water conditions. If I was to do it all over again, I'd do a fishless cycle.

It all sounds overwhelming, but it's really not so bad when you get an understanding of the biology of the tank. Do some reading about cycling, and really consider going the fishless route.

One last thing, check out aqadvisor.com as a guide for stocking. 10 gallons is really smaller than you'd think, so you're a little limited with what you can get. But that doesn't mean you can't still have an interesting tank, you just have to be a bit more careful with your planning.

It'll get better!

For some reason it's not letting me cut and paste on my phone, but if you go to the freshwater > getting started > stickies forum, there are a few good articles there.

I'd also really recommend investing in the API liquid testing kit, if you don't have one. The strips are very inaccurate. You can find them cheaper on amazon if you can spare a few days for shipping.

I've just done a fishless cycle with pure ammonia and its taken me about 10-14 days and that is with a 180 litre tank. Personally I would take the fish back and do a fishless cycle... but that's just my opinion!

If you're doing a fish-in cycle you really must get a liquid test kit ASAP. API is a good one. Then you can test for ammonia etc yourself and you'll have greater peace of mind.

To get your ammonia down, don't feed your fish for a couple of days - they will be fine. When you do feed them just feed them once on that day and remove any uneaten food as this will become ammonia.

Plus when you do water changes you need to add the dechlorinator to the tap water BEFORE you add the water to your tank.

If the fish aren't swimming about or seem unwell do a partial water change of about 25%. That will dilute the ammonia that will be causing them problems. There is loads of guidance in those links above.

It's a bit overwhelming at first but it's like learning to drive a car.... it will all become clear soon and you'll be able to enjoy your fish.

Again... get hold of a liquid test kit!

Okay, I've removed the fish and all I have in there now is a rubber nose plecostomus! He is going fine though! I haven't had a water test in a few days, but the last one read that my PH was high. There was also signs of Nitrite! I bought a neutralizing powder that supposedly adjusts according to your PH. I also bought a conditioning ammonia detoxifier!

I used these products (following the dosage) after a 30% water change! The water is still a clear cloudy, but I think that's just a part of the process.

Products designed to change the pH do more harm than good unfortunately. They cause drastic changes in pH which can be very stressful or deadly to fish. The majority of fish can adjust to the tanks pH as long as its consistent. What was the tanks pH? Also what conditioner did you buy?

This is the neutral regulator I used.

Attachments

• image-3749854041.jpg
    image-3749854041.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 78
I had a bad experience with neutral regulator. Most fish will adjust to Ph levels stability is what you want

When you say Ph is high what is it

My Ph was running 8 while cycling now it stays at 7.8 which is a little high but that's ok they will adjust. If you add something to lower it you have to keep it exactly the same which can be hard to do sometimes. And if you don't then the fluctuations can harm the fish

I'm not 100% certain so I'd appreciate confirmation but the pleco will grow way too large for the 10 gal. I suggest to return or rehome it

I'm not 100% certain so I'd appreciate confirmation but the pleco will grow way too large for the 10 gal. I suggest to return or rehome it

Yes it will I personally have no knowledge about rubber nosed plecos but what I have read they get 5-6" long so no it shouldn't be kept in a 10 gallon :-(

Rubber nose theoretically get 5" but the larges I've seen was 4 years old and about 3". Provided the tank is well filtered, I would THINK a rubber nose would be fine.

Rubber nose theoretically get 5" but the larges I've seen was 4 years old and about 3". Provided the tank is well filtered, I would THINK a rubber nose would be fine.

It is a baby right now.. It is only about an inch and a half! It's fine in my 10g right now.

Back
Top Bottom