10g with 2 pea/dwarf puffers! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The girl didnt make it :{ she passed away I think the male was stressing her out to much she poof'd up and it was all downhill from there..... :(

The girl didnt make it :{ she passed away I think the male was stressing her out to much she poof'd up and it was all downhill from there..... :(

Make sure your tank is really stocked with plants and decor. Don't let them see each other. From a bystander's point of view, your tank should look really crowded.

I hope she is in a better place now .

Puffers are better as singleton in a tank. DPs have a good chance of surviving with each other since they are small and a hobbyist's tank is pretty big.

In a big setting, if there are very few decor, then the DP may try to claim every inch of the tank. If the tank was setup with lots of decor (making the tank look like it has a few isolated area), then 2 DPs could claim one of those isolated area. Territory is important for a DP.

Even for a 10g, you can never be certain that a DP will tolerate anything in its tank. You might have a really aggressive male in the tank with no tolerance to tankmates.

I think they will try and hurt eachother again, but u could try i guess. No offence but was it cool when the fish puffed up?! Iv never seen it b4 but isnt it bad for the fish?

Sorry about your loss! She was such a cutie. I hope your next girl does better. I have heard that dp do better with gender ratios like mollies because it disperses the aggression among multiple females. Just curious, do you guys think thats true, or do they usually do ok in pairs (provided that they have enough tank space, obviously)?
I am considering getting one, but I just have space for 1.
Your little male is super cute. :)

he is so active and follows our fingers, or are faces and eats right from the syringe i feed him blood worms its so funny. i def didnt have enough plants to break their line of site and we plan to get another girl once we plant it out a little more... they are so awesome!!!! so much personality, awesome you should get one. and i wouldnt be surprised if they do better with 2 girls to 1 male ratio, sounds ideal.

Where did you get your dp's from I am fixing to set up a ten gallon and would really like to do a dp tank but I cannot find any where around me?

Where did you get your dp's from I am fixing to set up a ten gallon and would really like to do a dp tank but I cannot find any where around me?

I dont know where your from, but i live in houston and i get them from a store called fish ranch.

I am I Kentucky and the only place around me that had 1 was wal mart and the last time I was in there they didn't have it so I guess I will set the 10 gallon up this weekend and start searching for one.

you can get them on the internet.... but shipping is like really expensive 30-40$ for a 5.00$ fish ( here they are 5 )

Back
Top Bottom