Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

10gal fish ideas??

Hello I finally got a 10gal set up and are using cherry barbs from my brother-in-law. and Im trying to figure out what else I could add in the tank. It has fake plants for now and a rock formation. I want to eventually add in live plants and other fish....just dont know what kind and if you have any ideas please post pics of the fish and plants.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

For plants, what type of bulbs do you have?

Old 08-03-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

With a 10g tank, your options for adding fish are pretty much limited because of the smaller size. If you are keeping basic tropicals, the general rule is one inch of fish (when fully grown) per gallon. That is not a hard, fast rule, but something to think about in general. You wouldn't want to put a fish 10 inches long in a 10 gallon tank, so know how big your fish will get to be when fully grown before you buy.

You also have to consider if you are planning on shrimp or anything like that which adds to the bio load. If you want goldfish, well, I wouldn't put them in this tank.

In order to give you better advise could you let us know a few things?
How many cherry barbs are in the tank now?
Are you keeping them or are they 'loaners'?
What kind of lights do you have?
Are you willing or able to upgrade the lights based on plant needs since some plants require more light than others?
What are you using for substrate?

Honestly though, (IMHO) a small tank like this looks better with plants and just 1 fish in the 3-4 inch range (like a betta, dwarf gourami or medium sized angel) or 3-4 small fish the size of neons. The fish have more freedom to move around plus you can add a snail or a few decent-sized shrimp (large enough not to become dinner) without overcrowding or overloading the tank.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_AF
With a 10g tank, your options for adding fish are pretty much limited because of the smaller size. If you are keeping basic tropicals, the general rule is one inch of fish (when fully grown) per gallon. That is not a hard, fast rule, but something to think about in general. You wouldn't want to put a fish 10 inches long in a 10 gallon tank, so know how big your fish will get to be when fully grown before you buy.

You also have to consider if you are planning on shrimp or anything like that which adds to the bio load. If you want goldfish, well, I wouldn't put them in this tank.

In order to give you better advise could you let us know a few things?
How many cherry barbs are in the tank now?
Are you keeping them or are they 'loaners'?
What kind of lights do you have?
Are you willing or able to upgrade the lights based on plant needs since some plants require more light than others?
What are you using for substrate?

Honestly though, (IMHO) a small tank like this looks better with plants and just 1 fish in the 3-4 inch range (like a betta, dwarf gourami or medium sized angel) or 3-4 small fish the size of neons. The fish have more freedom to move around plus you can add a snail or a few decent-sized shrimp (large enough not to become dinner) without overcrowding or overloading the tank.
I disagree, the inch per gallon rule is not very accurate. This may work for some small fish, but there are way too many exceptions. Like the goldfish, oscars, most cichlids excluding shellies, and even smaller fish like tiger barbs and zebra danios. If you want help stocking post a list on this site and you'll get plenty of feedback.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I keep Harlequin Rasboras and Neons with my Cherry Barbs, but as was said, it depends on how many Barbs you have or if you plan to swap them out completely.

There are Nano Fish, but they like planted tanks. Celestial Pearl Danios for example. Stay small, but still cool fish.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

cherry barbs are gonna stay....plants are plastic and have a normal halogen bulbs right now. would like one big fish and some ghost shrimp
Old 08-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a heavy planted with betta and diff. Shrimps. Its nice to look at
Old 08-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

How many cherry barbs and what kinda filter do you have?
Old 08-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstfinch
cherry barbs are gonna stay....plants are plastic and have a normal halogen bulbs right now. would like one big fish and some ghost shrimp
The only issue with one big fish is most larger fish A. Won't fit in a 10g well. B. Larger fish will eat the Shrimp.

A single dwarf Gourami might work.
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkeeper26 View Post
I disagree, the inch per gallon rule is not very accurate. This may work for some small fish, but there are way too many exceptions. Like the goldfish, oscars, most cichlids excluding shellies, and even smaller fish like tiger barbs and zebra danios. If you want help stocking post a list on this site and you'll get plenty of feedback.
Thats why I wrote it the way I did... It's a BASIC GUIDELINE and not a hard, fast rule... there are definately exceptions but as a general guide, it does apply... there was no mention of oscars or anything else you listed, thats why I asked what he wanted to put in the tank... a little reading does a long way...

Tags
fish ideas, 10 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com