10gal fish ideas??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jstfinch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I finally got a 10gal set up and are using cherry barbs from my brother-in-law. and Im trying to figure out what else I could add in the tank. It has fake plants for now and a rock formation. I want to eventually add in live plants and other fish....just dont know what kind and if you have any ideas please post pics of the fish and plants.

With a 10g tank, your options for adding fish are pretty much limited because of the smaller size. If you are keeping basic tropicals, the general rule is one inch of fish (when fully grown) per gallon. That is not a hard, fast rule, but something to think about in general. You wouldn't want to put a fish 10 inches long in a 10 gallon tank, so know how big your fish will get to be when fully grown before you buy.

You also have to consider if you are planning on shrimp or anything like that which adds to the bio load. If you want goldfish, well, I wouldn't put them in this tank.

In order to give you better advise could you let us know a few things?
How many cherry barbs are in the tank now?
Are you keeping them or are they 'loaners'?
What kind of lights do you have?
Are you willing or able to upgrade the lights based on plant needs since some plants require more light than others?
What are you using for substrate?

Honestly though, (IMHO) a small tank like this looks better with plants and just 1 fish in the 3-4 inch range (like a betta, dwarf gourami or medium sized angel) or 3-4 small fish the size of neons. The fish have more freedom to move around plus you can add a snail or a few decent-sized shrimp (large enough not to become dinner) without overcrowding or overloading the tank.

Retired_AF said:
With a 10g tank, your options for adding fish are pretty much limited because of the smaller size. If you are keeping basic tropicals, the general rule is one inch of fish (when fully grown) per gallon. That is not a hard, fast rule, but something to think about in general. You wouldn't want to put a fish 10 inches long in a 10 gallon tank, so know how big your fish will get to be when fully grown before you buy.

You also have to consider if you are planning on shrimp or anything like that which adds to the bio load. If you want goldfish, well, I wouldn't put them in this tank.

In order to give you better advise could you let us know a few things?
How many cherry barbs are in the tank now?
Are you keeping them or are they 'loaners'?
What kind of lights do you have?
Are you willing or able to upgrade the lights based on plant needs since some plants require more light than others?
What are you using for substrate?

Honestly though, (IMHO) a small tank like this looks better with plants and just 1 fish in the 3-4 inch range (like a betta, dwarf gourami or medium sized angel) or 3-4 small fish the size of neons. The fish have more freedom to move around plus you can add a snail or a few decent-sized shrimp (large enough not to become dinner) without overcrowding or overloading the tank.

I disagree, the inch per gallon rule is not very accurate. This may work for some small fish, but there are way too many exceptions. Like the goldfish, oscars, most cichlids excluding shellies, and even smaller fish like tiger barbs and zebra danios. If you want help stocking post a list on this site and you'll get plenty of feedback.

I keep Harlequin Rasboras and Neons with my Cherry Barbs, but as was said, it depends on how many Barbs you have or if you plan to swap them out completely.

There are Nano Fish, but they like planted tanks. Celestial Pearl Danios for example. Stay small, but still cool fish.

cherry barbs are gonna stay....plants are plastic and have a normal halogen bulbs right now. would like one big fish and some ghost shrimp

jstfinch said:
cherry barbs are gonna stay....plants are plastic and have a normal halogen bulbs right now. would like one big fish and some ghost shrimp

The only issue with one big fish is most larger fish A. Won't fit in a 10g well. B. Larger fish will eat the Shrimp.

A single dwarf Gourami might work.

I disagree, the inch per gallon rule is not very accurate. This may work for some small fish, but there are way too many exceptions. Like the goldfish, oscars, most cichlids excluding shellies, and even smaller fish like tiger barbs and zebra danios. If you want help stocking post a list on this site and you'll get plenty of feedback.

Thats why I wrote it the way I did... It's a BASIC GUIDELINE and not a hard, fast rule... there are definately exceptions but as a general guide, it does apply... there was no mention of oscars or anything else you listed, thats why I asked what he wanted to put in the tank... a little reading does a long way...

It is not a general guideline, and I am positive the majority of the people on this site will agree with me. There are way to many other things that need to be taken into account when stocking a tank and there are way to many exceptions to this rule. If you would like to debate this with me you can PM, but this argument is not relevant to the thread the rule doesn't apply.

I will echo on this 'how many barbs do you have?' Without this information there's not much to go on. However these barbs need to be in groups of 5-6. You could put some DWARF corydoras (had to put that becuase everyone gets in a tissy for just putting corydoras...) and some shrimp, or the dwarf gourami would work too. I think that would be a nice tank to watch. As for plants, I'd do either java or xmas moss, some java fern and maybe something like guppy grass or amazon sword. These won't need fancy lighting and co2.

Yeah its all about how you stock, not what... to a certain degree
My tank is kinda over stocked ( a bettas, 4 kuhlis, and various shrimps (vampire, cherries, amano)
And before it was triple filtered, it was a b word to keep up with, and impossibly to keep my levels straight. my word is even if its kinda overstocked, its still about how you stock the tank, and your maintence schedual

well tank update... there are six cherry barbs....and just today I added a dwarf gourami, then I'm gonna add six ghost shrimp by the weekend

jstfinch said:
well tank update... there are six cherry barbs....and just today I added a dwarf gourami, then I'm gonna add six ghost shrimp by the weekend

10g is too small for cherry barbs

bruinsbro1997 said:
Why are cherry barbs not for a ten gallon...?

They need to be in a school of at least of 5 and they grow bigger than 2".

Back
Top Bottom