Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

125 Gallon CL Special

I have been in the market for a bigger home for my 2 Oscars. I still had a while as they are in a 75 Gallon and are only 4 inches or so long but I couldn't resist keeping an eye out for a steal on the internet. Well, I feel I found that steal late last week. I saw a 125 gallon tank with stand, tops (the plastic kind), lights (2, 3 foot with dual bulbs), a Mag350 canister filter, 2 powerheads and some misc nets, media, old food/ chemicals I threw away. All of this for a grand total of........................................... $200. I couldn't pass up this deal. I talked my lovely wife into the purchase and we brought it home. It was in a storage shed for a while so it took some pledge and a full water test but all seems to be ok. I let water sit in it for 5 hours and no issues. There is only 1 small blemish that I am not too concerned about at this time but wanted some opinions on the matter. You will see in the pictures below. Here we go, the fun part.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4229.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	23162

Name:	IMG_4230.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	23159

Name:	IMG_4233.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	23160

Name:	IMG_4234.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	23161

I will attach the last picture on a reply.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, here is the small blemish I was referring to. It is about the size of a large pea. It is almost perfectly round and doesn't seem very deep. Almost like a skin wound if you will. I made sure it wasn't just silicone and it is actually a small chip held in by the silicone otherwise I believe the glass dust would not be there. Anyway, would you have any concern about this? I really don't. Here is the pic.

Name:	IMG_4237.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	23163

Let me know if you all think I got a good deal. I think it was pretty good. I don't really think I am going to use that filter but I might just for some added filtration. I really like my XP3's though. I'll keep a log as I get this thing working. I am not going to rush it by any means as their current home suits them just fine. One thing I want to do before setting this up with water is to paint the room. We already have the paint, just have to do it.

Enjoy

Old 03-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If that chip is at the bottom of the tank and there will be water behind it, I'd probably be worried.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

It is actually about 1/3 the way up on a side piece. (If you look at picture #2, it is against the wall but the left side piece of glass) I took the shot sideways so it was easier to see. It is behind the silicone so no water will touch it. In my mind, those side panels do not have as much flex to them because they are quite "small" relatively and should be stronger.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hopefully you'll be ok. I might try one of those windshield repair kits just for piece of mind. That silicone won't keep the water pressure off the glass.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya, i would shoot for a windshield repair kit. Glad to see someone trying to house there oscars correctly.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

pretty good deal on that tank i'm hoping to get a 6' tank soon. browsing through craigslist today, i found one for twice what you paid, and shows just how big oscars can get!

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Funny, that look exactly like my tank/stand/light setup except for glass tops on this one. Yeah, my oscars are only 4" right now in a 75 gallon but I knew I would need something bigger in a short period (less than 6 months) so I just kept my eye open. I hope they grow as large as possible. I was really hoping for a 180 gallon but this will be fine. I plan to add a sump in the future so that will provide more water volume but just not as much swimming space.

About those windshield repair kits. I've never used one. Do you actually drill out the glass and plug it? That seems ok to me but just want to make sure it won't crack the glass. It isn't on the bottom so I don't think it is tempered glass but how do you be certain? I will google the repair kits and see what I can find. This is so close to the edge of the glass I'm not sure. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:46 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Call safelite autoglass (not joking) and see if they would be willing to make a unregular call. lol.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

A decent auto parts store should carry the windshield kits for $15-$20. Read the instructions VERY carefully. They're all a little different. Basically, you just clean the crack, fill it with the goop in the kit using a special method, and let it cure. The kits do work well. I've used several over the years on cars and have never had a repaired crack spread.

Tags
125 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, spec

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com