Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I am currently setting up an african river/ stream Cichlid aquarium. It is 55 gallon and heavily planted. The water is right now about 6.8 pH and in the softer side. I am currently cycling with some of my less desirable guppies. I plan to add fish from the families pelvicachromis (kribs etc.), chromidotilapia, paranochromis, nanochromis, and thysochromis which from my research will all be about the same size and enjoy the softer water and heavily planted tank. I have tried to chose the fish based on the locations that they will enjoy as well. Of course the Kirbs will hide in the caves and others are more free swimming. If you want more info just let me know and I would be happy to share the species etc. but the are all African dwarfs found in rivers and streams. Also check out this link

http://www.rainbowfish.info/forum/vi...hp?f=30&t=2932

Old 09-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #22

wow you got an awesome deal on that set up. I have been setting up a new 55 gallon designated and designed for Dwarf African cichlids. I have aquascaped it. I heavily planted it about I week ago. I put about 5 of my less desirable fancy guppies in it to jump start the cycling and I used a culture from one of my mature tanks. The plants and guppies are loving it! I already have new growth! I have done a lot of research about what I want to put in it. The Dwarf Africans live in rivers and streams. They prefer much softer more acidic water than other African cichlids. I have a list of species that I would like to stock but I am limited with only 55gallons. You may be able to put more species in your setup . In summary pretty much anything from the pelvicachromis family which includes Kribs,Cnromidotilapia guentheri,Hemichromis cristatus (Crown Jewel Cichlid), Paranochromiscaudifasciatus (African Banded-tail Nanochromis),Thysochromis ansorgii (5 spot African Cichlid), Nanochromis robertsi, and maybe Tilapia Joka. From the research I have done these should all work well together. But I could be wrong. I also have some other community fish on the list as well as a couple of Dwarf South American Cichlids , but people (professionals) don't seem to think mixing Africans and South Americans is a good idea. Although, they do have similar temperaments and like similar water parameters. If you want some other community fish suggestions let me know and I will give you that list too.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #23

Check out this thread
http://www.rainbowfish.info/forum/vi...hp?f=30&t=2932
Old 11-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

sorry for being gone so long thanks for the input

Tags
1.5g, advice, filter, filters, tan, tank, tips

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com