Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

125g Tank with lots of filters, any tips or advice?

Just got a aquarium setup for $300. They guy gave me a 125g glass aquarium, a Rena Filstar xp4 canister a marineland penguin 350, and 2 Marineland penguin 660 powerheads.

When I was last into tanks I had a Hexagon tank(aka coffin tank). Abd a 50 gallon with 2 Marineland HOB filters on it. So now I am looking for some help or pointers on setting it up. Right now I have the canister sucking from the right side and blowing out the left, and the Penguin 350 on the left side. When the guy and I was taking this tank down from his place. His tank was as clear as a empty brand new Acrylic tank. before he started handing me things and taking the lights off. I caught a glimpse of a powerhead set up.

What would be a good or ideal way to set the tank up for African Cichlids like Kribensis, Bumblebee, Electric Yellow, and Angle fish. The guy told me his Pecock Cichlids liked the current. Up down, left right, diagonal, I dont know.

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/...D/IMAG0452.jpg

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/...D/IMAG0470.jpg

MOBILE UPLOAD :: VIDEO0012.mp4 video by Thewalmsleyshome - Photobucket

Old 09-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I could really use some help or ideas. I know how the filters were hooked up. But should I have one power head on each side of the tank pointing at each other? or have them both on one side one higher then the other pointing in the same direction? I just want whats best for the fish or/and aquarium. Thank you.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Wow.. What a nice come up for $300.. I'd love to see some pics when you get it setup. I don't have experience with a tank that large, but my guess would be to place one power head on each side to create a nice circular current to help reduce any dead spots in the tank.

I'd also consider some Frontosa cichlids in a tank that large.

Edit: on the pics you got on here (from the previous owner I assume), I'd ditch that background and get a more modern looking solid black or dark blue one.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

The list of parts is from the previous owner. But the picture and video is how I have it set up right now. So you are saying to make a wirlpool effect? Like putting one on the the back right side facing length wise, pushing the water along the back end, and one on the front left side, pushing water along the front of the tank?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I guess that's what I'd do.. Makes more sense to me. But I'm unfortunately inexperienced in a tank that large. Largest I've owned was a 65g. But I think a whirlpool effect seems logical in that it would create good circulation.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kribensis
Just got a aquarium setup for $300. They guy gave me a 125g glass aquarium, a Rena Filstar xp4 canister a marineland penguin 350, and 2 Marineland penguin 660 powerheads.

When I was last into tanks I had a Hexagon tank(aka coffin tank). Abd a 50 gallon with 2 Marineland HOB filters on it. So now I am looking for some help or pointers on setting it up. Right now I have the canister sucking from the right side and blowing out the left, and the Penguin 350 on the left side. When the guy and I was taking this tank down from his place. His tank was as clear as a empty brand new Acrylic tank. before he started handing me things and taking the lights off. I caught a glimpse of a powerhead set up.

What would be a good or ideal way to set the tank up for African Cichlids like Kribensis, Bumblebee, Electric Yellow, and Angle fish. The guy told me his Pecock Cichlids liked the current. Up down, left right, diagonal, I dont know.

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/...D/IMAG0452.jpg

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/...D/IMAG0470.jpg

MOBILE UPLOAD :: VIDEO0012.mp4 video by Thewalmsleyshome - Photobucket
Cichlids would you like to do? Unfortunately some of the ones you named can't go together. The bumble bee and electric yellow are mbuna Cichlids and they can go together. But can't go with the others. If it was me I'd pick the main fish you like the best and build from there. If you want plants that falls in play aswell.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry for the long weight for the reply. Life got real busy at home. Well some ppl think Im crazy, But the tank is going to focus on Kribensis mainly.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kribensis View Post
focus on Kribensis
HENCE.... your name! LOL...

Wow.. you can house a gazillion Kribs in there!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
Wow.. you can house a gazillion Kribs in there!
Ya thanks, I learned years ago that LARGER tanks have more room for errors and not causing such a big problem. I have been told by many that smaller tanks require more attention vs larger tanks. Now I did get my wife a 90g acrylic with a Rena xp3 filter. But I would never go smaller then her 909. I now have 2 125 g tanks and one of them came with 2 Rena xp3 filters but the current set up tank is the one I want to really focus on now. Hence the title looking for advice with the powerheads and filters. Once guy told me to try a Whirlpool setup. But I have read others wih only one powerhead.

And I cant recall why or when I fell for this single breed fish. But over the years I have gotten out of the hobby and now after years later. I figure it will come back to me. But the 4 that are in there catch my eye all the time. I have not seen any red belly's but today is only there second day, and last night I spent 1 hour trying to catch a Bumblebee Cichlid that is a butthead. I tried to stay away from the Kribs but this one inch Bumblebee is a fast little bugger.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kribensis

Ya thanks, I learned years ago that LARGER tanks have more room for errors and not causing such a big problem. I have been told by many that smaller tanks require more attention vs larger tanks. Now I did get my wife a 90g acrylic with a Rena xp3 filter. But I would never go smaller then her 909. I now have 2 125 g tanks and one of them came with 2 Rena xp3 filters but the current set up tank is the one I want to really focus on now. Hence the title looking for advice with the powerheads and filters. Once guy told me to try a Whirlpool setup. But I have read others wih only one powerhead.

And I cant recall why or when I fell for this single breed fish. But over the years I have gotten out of the hobby and now after years later. I figure it will come back to me. But the 4 that are in there catch my eye all the time. I have not seen any red belly's but today is only there second day, and last night I spent 1 hour trying to catch a Bumblebee Cichlid that is a butthead. I tried to stay away from the Kribs but this one inch Bumblebee is a fast little bugger.
On my 180g I have two xp3, 2 power heads and a hob filter. Oh and a sump but I don't run it anymore witch is going to come out to be turned into salt.

Most mbunas are not easy to catch just an FYI. On my 180 I have to drain the water down to 5" or so lol

Tags
1.5g, advice, filter, filters, tan, tank, tips

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com