Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 11
2 Clown Loaches

This morning I purchased 2 Clown Loaches for my 29 gallon.

I have 2 Blue Gouramis, 1 is about 4" the other is about 2-2.5". I left the house this afternoon, and when I came back at night I only had 1 Clown Loache left. I have noticed the 4" Gourami seems to be extra fat. I didn't find the Loache anywhere, not even outside of the tank. I am assuming the Gourami ate him.

I had a significant amount of rocks which should provide adequate hiding space for smaller fish and those bottom feeders that like to hide. I also have 2 large plants, 5 medium plants, and 4 small plants. I thought that'd be good enough. Apparently not.

I added a few more rocks and tried to reposition them to allow more hiding spaces and spots where the smaller fish can get to but the bigger ones shouldn't be able to.

Is that enough?

I really want to get a couple more Clown Loaches, but not if my Gourami is going to make a $10 meal out of them every time he gets hungry. Advice is much appreciated.
__________________

__________________
29 Gallon (30x12x18)
2 Blue Gouramis, 3 Giant Danios, 3 Clown Loaches, 1 Dalmation Molly, 2 Plecostomus
THuey561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 11
P.s. I have reason to believe the 4" Blue Gourami may have ate a small male Dalmation Molly I added a couple weeks ago.
__________________

__________________
29 Gallon (30x12x18)
2 Blue Gouramis, 3 Giant Danios, 3 Clown Loaches, 1 Dalmation Molly, 2 Plecostomus
THuey561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
art-of-fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by THuey561
This morning I purchased 2 Clown Loaches for my 29 gallon.

I have 2 Blue Gouramis, 1 is about 4" the other is about 2-2.5". I left the house this afternoon, and when I came back at night I only had 1 Clown Loache left. I have noticed the 4" Gourami seems to be extra fat. I didn't find the Loache anywhere, not even outside of the tank. I am assuming the Gourami ate him.

I had a significant amount of rocks which should provide adequate hiding space for smaller fish and those bottom feeders that like to hide. I also have 2 large plants, 5 medium plants, and 4 small plants. I thought that'd be good enough. Apparently not.

I added a few more rocks and tried to reposition them to allow more hiding spaces and spots where the smaller fish can get to but the bigger ones shouldn't be able to.

Is that enough?

I really want to get a couple more Clown Loaches, but not if my Gourami is going to make a $10 meal out of them every time he gets hungry. Advice is much appreciated.




Just buy a bigger fish a golden pleco or large clown loaches
__________________
art-of-fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by art-of-fish View Post
Just buy a bigger fish a golden pleco or large clown loaches
I figured that's be a good solution, as I really wanted to stick with the loaches, but I can't find any in my area that are more than 1.5"

I also just read something about Danios being a distraction to larger more aggressive fish. I used to have a school of 3 a while back, and I never had a problem with aggression.

Could that be a solution?
__________________
29 Gallon (30x12x18)
2 Blue Gouramis, 3 Giant Danios, 3 Clown Loaches, 1 Dalmation Molly, 2 Plecostomus
THuey561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
art-of-fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by THuey561

I figured that's be a good solution, as I really wanted to stick with the loaches, but I can't find any in my area that are more than 1.5"

I also just read something about Danios being a distraction to larger more aggressive fish. I used to have a school of 3 a while back, and I never had a problem with aggression.

Could that be a solution?
I think you could buy them online 3.5 Inc.
But pleco are the best bet. They are friendly vegetarian
Good luck buddy
__________________
art-of-fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mlani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 1,153
I'm sorry, you have a 29gal? And you want to put clown loaches in there? Are you planning on upgrading your tank size as the fish grow? They can get between 5-10 inches and need schools of at least 5-6 to be happy. Just saying
__________________
Mlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani View Post
I'm sorry, you have a 29gal? And you want to put clown loaches in there? Are you planning on upgrading your tank size as the fish grow? They can get between 5-10 inches and need schools of at least 5-6 to be happy. Just saying
I do plan on upgrading to a bigger tank within the next year, and I hope to keep this one going especially if I have smaller fish I'd like to raise before putting them in a big tank with the more mature fish.
__________________
29 Gallon (30x12x18)
2 Blue Gouramis, 3 Giant Danios, 3 Clown Loaches, 1 Dalmation Molly, 2 Plecostomus
THuey561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sharkbait54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nashville,Tn
Posts: 1,415
These fish grow very slow I wouldn't worry about it for a while.
__________________
Sharkbait54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
art-of-fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlani
I'm sorry, you have a 29gal? And you want to put clown loaches in there? Are you planning on upgrading your tank size as the fish grow? They can get between 5-10 inches and need schools of at least 5-6 to be happy. Just saying

Mlani's right. Your tank needs to be at lease 60 up. Clown loaches grows 8-12 inch.
My tank is 82 gallon they are happy I only have two. And a golden pleco and royal pleco which grow 12 inch
And 8 discus need to upgrade tank soon
__________________
art-of-fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:53 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mlani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: canada
Posts: 1,153
Oh good I just wanted to make sure you knew.
__________________

__________________
Mlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blue, clown, clown loach, clown loaches, fighting, gouramis, loach, loaches, tank mates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clown Loaches mandymoo Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 2 02-02-2012 10:42 PM
Clown Loaches & Tiger Barbs mandymoo Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 1 01-28-2012 10:12 AM
Help My Clown Loaches Foskett96 Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 3 10-07-2011 10:40 PM
Acclimating my new clown loaches Foskett96 Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 2 10-07-2011 10:48 AM
newbie with clown loaches rileypark2 Member Introductions 11 08-31-2011 03:37 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.