210 Gallon Oceanic with a problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thumper_65590

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I aquired a new tank. It is a 210 gallon oceanic. Its one of the old heavy ones. My problem is, it has a crack on the bottom. I am including some pictures of it. Any idea of how I can repair it? Thanks, William

Attachments

• 210 crack.jpg
    210 crack.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 210.2.jpg
    210.2.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 197
  • 210.jpg
    210.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 190
Silicone a piece of plywood painted in pond liner over it??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would get a square piece of glass that covers the crack and then some, clean up all the sand around the crack then use some silicone to glue the glass plate on the inside, making sure you applied enough silicone to the crack first.

This serves 2 purposes, sealing the crack and the plate will help in load distribution around the crack so the pressure wont be applied directly on the crack

You can use any scrap glass or even acrylic if you have any it just has to be bigger than the crack area and without sharp edges, he'll if the crack is small enough and there's nothing else you could use a plastic gift card or similar

I just think wood of any kind has more complications involved

Looks like crack goes into the over flow box on the left and then all the way to edge? And you have bulkheads in the bottom on opposite end? I 'll guess you have 2 bulkheads in the overflow also?
Your tank ,your house....I would NEVER put water in it without completely replacing bottom.

I agree with coralbandit... Maybe you should consider using it as a terrarium?

I have been researching this and talking on a few other forums, including monster fish keepers. I think I am going to basically laminate the bottom. Piece of 1/4 or 3/8 on the bottom, then epoxy sealed plywood on the bottom, with a new bottom frame. What does everyone think of this? Thanks for all of the replies so far.

I have some better pictures of the damage to my tank. I know it has been a while since I posted, but I have been reading my posts here, as well as looking at what others have done. I have also had another idea. Could I put a piece of glass across the tank, like a new side panel, that would block off the crack, from front panel to back panel. that way there would be no water in the area of the crack. take a look at the pictures and give me any suggestions on how to fix it, or if you think my idea of using a piece of glass across the width of the tank to block off the area would work. Thanks again, William

Attachments

• 20170303_204654.jpg
    20170303_204654.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 125
  • 20170303_204716.jpg
    20170303_204716.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 20170303_204735.jpg
    20170303_204735.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 113
  • 20170303_204739.jpg
    20170303_204739.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 132
I would never suggest sandwiching 2 pieces of glass together especially with a tank of that size, there are a few reasons why .

the weight of the water alone should be all the reason why ,

1) the tank is already compromised with the crack so that glass section is very weak and can shatter even with another sheet of glass, 210g is a lot of water to clean up if it did burst , not something I would risk consider the cost of clean up plus what ever water damage it may cause is it worth it.

2) Considering the time and labor to pull out that section of glass to replace it your going to wind up rebuilding and resealing the entire tank before your done , add the cost of the bottom section of glass by the time your done you could have bought another tank ,

3) putting 2 pieces of glass really isn't going to make it stronger those 2 sections of glass will always be flexing with one another because of the air gap between the 2 this can cause both the new section and old to burst

4) you always have that thought in the back of your head is it going to hold , when is it going to let go it's not worth your peace of mind.

Last edited:
I would be concerned the tank would have enough pressure from the water to crack the whole bottom.

Possibly something to use outside after repairing for a outdoor tank off the patio or a summer outside tank, or in a basement next to a drain, just in case. Possibly wood specially cut to fill void in exact thickness in bottom, then thick plywood to support all of the bottom including sides and create a new custom cut thick bottom glass and reseal but only use where you wouldn't suffer catastrophic damage if a failure occurs.

I am not liable for the advice I am giving here but seems to me that it is a problem to change the whole glass surface for you

The idea of adding a piece of glass on the inside has worked for me (granted on a smaller size tank) but it just makes sense, you just have to make sure that you have no air bubbles between the supporting sheet (because of what seaweed said in #3 it really is very important both pieces have to brace each other) and the cracked part and that it's super well sealed with aquarium silicone, having said that, it's up to you to take the risk.

I am a mechanical electrical engineer and I know the dimensions of the "patch" and manner in which I implemented the whole thing will work for me, although more cost effective its probably the same amount of work to patch it right than to change the whole thing.

I hope I don't get bashed for this [emoji53]

My big tank has a twin skin 12mm + 12mm base panel, it is full DIY and has been alive for several years, you'd get away with a repair panel and silicone. Fortunately the crack runs out on a small corner. I've made repairs of this nature on smaller tanks.
Plenty clean, and clean again. A good bead of silicone. Should be fine. If the repair panel is of a suitable size, you should be able to refit the overflow box.

Just be sure you clean the area thoroughly.

You get the panic of will it hold with any assembly of a tank, I know because I've made several. Even the small ones are a cause for concern. The bottom will only fail or flex if the stand is inadequate, in which case nothing you do would be good enough.

I would make the panel at least 3-4" over the edge of the crack, leave a 3mm gap at the sides and rear, fill with silicone, gently ease/jiggle it back into the corner (lose 1mm of gap)
To ensure silicone has bedded properly. Finish off around the front edges or repair panel in good time, ie before the silicone skins over.

Use glass of an equal thickness.

(Glass will only shatter if it's toughened)
Clearly this is normal (float) glass.

Back
Top Bottom