30 gal Maintenance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkiegirl94

Aquarium Advice Freak
Wow...I have no idea if I spelled that right...anyways--I recently sold a unused 50 gal for a smaller 30 gal...I need some tips on cleaning...I have never set up or maintained an aquarium. How often do I change water? It has a filter that has not been tested to my knowledge...and are bigger fish tanks really that hard to maintain like I've heard? I'm starting out freshwater, hopefully converting to saltwater eventually~ I also would like some tips on those, if possible. Thanks for the help~

20% every fortnight is definitely not enough.
It depends on your test results for nitrate. Ideally you want to keep it under 20ppm. If its not over 20ppm before a weekly water change that's an added bonus but you still need to change around half of the water just to removed TDS and replace trace minerals.
If the tank is new and still cycling (with fish) then you need to change as much water as often as it takes to keep ammonia and nitrite under 0.25ppm and nitrate under 20ppm.

Back
Top Bottom