Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2015, 04:22 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Ok, then I'd recommend you to start up CO2-set - good fo plants health and for lowering Ph in a tank.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I guess it's a good thing I bought the CO2 then huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-18-2015, 07:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlado21 View Post
Ok, then I'd recommend you to start up CO2-set - good fo plants health and for lowering Ph in a tank.

Seeing as you don't have a lot of plants I would tread carefully. You could have a lack of oxygen really fast if your plants can't keep up. A co2 regulator on the tank will help make sure this doesn't happen and they go for a few bucks on Amazon.

What "co2 system" do you have?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 03-18-2015, 07:38 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Sure, Caleb, but if you have a good set (pure CO2, not bio), with
bubble counter,
CO2-diffuser,
electro-magnetic valve,
needle-valve (+ manometer),
digital timer
and/or even pH-meter (ideal, but not essential, too expensive for my view),
you don't need to worry about any lack of oxygen at all!

I've got a 2kg CO2 cylinder from local seller, digital timer keeps it on (electro-magnetic valve) only at times when light is on.

Current rate is set on 60 bubbles per min (VulpuixScyther can start at 30). and it lasts about half a year. Then I refill a cyilinder at 5€ and can bubble again another half a year...

pH is at 7.0 +-0.2, kH between 6-8'. By evenings (when light is on), it's is a great view on bubbling plants in a tank (growing and producing oxygen for fish). Disadvantage: NO3 is near 0, because of higher plants consumption (and less fish), so I add KNO3 (daily) and Iron (weekly) from my PMDD-pack. I'm glad, it works at not too much money and plants (and fish) seem healthy ...
Old 03-18-2015, 07:48 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Sure, Caleb, but if you have a good set (pure CO2, not bio), with
bubble counter,
CO2-diffuser,
electro-magnetic valve,
needle-valve (+ manometer),
digital timer
and/or even pH-meter (ideal, but not essential, too expensive for my view),
you don't need to worry about any lack of oxygen at all!

I've got a 2kg CO2 cylinder from local seller, digital timer keeps it on (electro-magnetic valve) only at times when light is on.

Current rate is set on 60 bubbles per min (VulpuixScyther can start at 30). and it lasts about half a year. Then I refill a cyilinder at 5€ and can bubble again another half a year...

pH is at 7.0 +-0.2, kH between 6-8'. By evenings (when light is on), it's is a great view on bubbling plants in a tank (growing and producing oxygen for fish). Disadvantage: NO3 is near 0, because of higher plants consumption (and less fish), so I add KNO3 (daily) and Iron (weekly) from my PMDD-pack. I'm glad, it works at not too much money and plants (and fish) seem healthy ...

I was trying not to go into a ton of detail for the sake of our new-to-planted aquarist. :p I have a pressurized paintball co2 system myself. I was referring to paying attention the the calibration so as your not putting out too much co2. On my system one half turn can mean 3bps or 100bps... That happened one time my cat got into my stand and knocked it over and it turned it way up. Came home to suffocating fish and a blasting co2 system.

Just raising awareness is all

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 03-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

I agree with you Caleb, it's good for the beginners to understand all the risks. IMO: your problem should be fully solved by adding a needle valve (with mano) at a bottle, if technically possible. Cheers!
Old 03-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I agree with you Caleb, it's good for the beginners to understand all the risks. IMO: your problem should be fully solved by adding a needle valve (with mano) at a bottle, if technically possible. Cheers!

I'll have to check on that for a co2 system. And OP, unless you have a lot of plants or high need plants (baby tears for example) you really don't need co2. Ferts will be sufficient. Co2 is just an added bonus.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 03-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Caleb, you know for sure, there are many plant species which require CO2 essentialy (often redisch or yellow colour of leaves). I admit, it's not VulpuixScyther's case. But besides helping to grow the plants (good when cycling new aqua too), it helps to lower pH (CO2 + H2O → H2CO3}. The main and only Con I can see here, is the price (extra costs when setting up a new aquarium).
Old 03-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Caleb, you know for sure, there are many plant species which require CO2 essentialy (often redisch or yellow colour of leaves). I admit, it's not VulpuixScyther's case. But besides helping to grow the plants (good when cycling new aqua too), it helps to lower pH (CO2 + H2O → H2CO3}. The main and only Con I can see here, is the price (extra costs when setting up a new aquarium).

Until you get into high lighting plants there's only a few that actually "Require" co2 to thrive. All low light plants and some medium will thrive with good lighting and fertilization. Co2 injection just helps those lower light plants grow faster and better but it is not essential to their survival.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 03-18-2015, 11:11 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

I bought some liquid co2. I don't really have a system.

My tank water was a little cloudy when I put the plants in, but now it's all cleared up.

I tried to get some hardy plants and I'm planning on buying quite a few more. I want to try and get as many in there as my budget will allow.

It's only been one day but the minnows seem to be doing just fine but I know it'll take a few weeks before I know for sure these plants will live in the environment I have them in and if the minnows will be okay. I have a back up tank just in case I see something going wrong.

I have a 70 gallon filter in there now and I plan on buying another one. I just need to buy a heater, and an air pump.

To be honest, all of the conversation above went right over my head! I have no idea what you all are talking about. :b

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tags
60 gallon, gallon, question, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com