60 Gallon and Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought some liquid co2. I don't really have a system.

My tank water was a little cloudy when I put the plants in, but now it's all cleared up.

I tried to get some hardy plants and I'm planning on buying quite a few more. I want to try and get as many in there as my budget will allow.

It's only been one day but the minnows seem to be doing just fine but I know it'll take a few weeks before I know for sure these plants will live in the environment I have them in and if the minnows will be okay. I have a back up tank just in case I see something going wrong.

I have a 70 gallon filter in there now and I plan on buying another one. I just need to buy a heater, and an air pump.

To be honest, all of the conversation above went right over my head! I have no idea what you all are talking about. :b

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lol. Basically to sum it all up. Unless you get plants like Dwarf Baby Tears, your plants will be fine without a co2 system.

Plants are divided up into 3 categories.
-Low Light, this is all the beginner plants such as Anubias, Java Fern, crypts, Amazon swords, etc.
-medium light, these can be plants that need a bit higher lighting and need fertilizers to thrive. Examples such as Ludwigia, Rotala, I think vals are in there too. And Staurogyne Repens.
-high light, this is for heavily planted tanks. These plants just as the baby tears I listed above require co2 to thrive and grow. Lots of nutrients and great lighting. Not recommended for the beginner to the planted world.

Glad to hear the minnows are working out ?

What plants have you gotten? I have gotten most of my plants from AquaBid.com or eBay. Almost all sellers will refund if there is a DOA(dead on arrival) just snap a pic in the bag it was sent in as proof. I've only experienced one DOA in all my orders and that was this winter due to weather.

Cloudy tank water is expected during cycling it will clear up!

Air pumps are not really needed. Most people just use them for decoration. In the case of a planted tank with co2, some people, like myself, use the air stones to diffuse any "leftover" co2 after the lights cut off.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have a Java fern, some dwarf hair grass, and an anubias nana, as of right now.

There's many types of fertilizers. I've been using liquid and am switching to dry ferts. Reason: because most of the liquid bottles are mainly water based. Being a 60 gallon tank id recommend, since you are on a semi budget, to just go ahead are start with dry ferts to save money.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332771

That's the link to my thread where I'm receiving help on switching to dry ferts with some more experienced planters. Feel free to bump in and ask some questions if you have any.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have a Java fern, some dwarf hair grass, and an anubias nana, as of right now.

I have DHG on the way ugh I need it to get here :p

Java Fern is not planted, tie it to a rock or piece of driftwood and it will establish itself.

Same thing for Anubias, except you can plant the roots if you want. The rhizome(where everything sprouts from in the middle) must stay above the substrate. Or you can tie it down like the Java Fern.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426732503.901144.jpg

My 75g planted. It's come a long way and I never could have done it without the help of the members here on AA. They are like an endless book of knowledge.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

VulpuixScyther, I'm sure, you are on the right road. Just a few points: there's no liquid CO2 in Aquaristic, except that compressed in CO2 cylinder (CO2 set). You bought probably some "organic carbon" (Flourish Excel by Seachem, EasyCarbo by Easy Life,... else?) what's fine for plants (be carefull, might be toxic for fish if overdosed!), but can't replace CO2 itself (dispersed gas in water).

Hardy plants without pumped CO2 will grow too (as Caleb wrote), but slower and some may pass away... you'll see in the future, if it happened, you can check the light, nutrients, pH, substrate,... or just try another spieces.

For planted aquarium, you don't need an air pump at all! Focus on plants, try to keep them in a good trim. If they'll have enough of light and nutrients (macro and micro), they will produce enough of O2 for fish (and fish barter CO2 to plants) and will help you to keep a stable bio-balance in your aquarium (attractive look of rich-planted aquarium & happy fish).

Cheers!

P.S. FYI: I cycled my tank 5 months ago:
rio-rozbeh-i46688.jpg

current look:
attachment.php

...and 4 years ago it was this one:
100l-samorast-po-4-mesiacoch-i38237.jpg

Vlado21 and ImACoolGuy, both tanks are beautifully planted! Thank you all so much for helping me out with this. I'll probably be on here a lot with tons of questions! More than anything, I'm looking forward to the hands on experience.

So, to wrap it up:

The plants that I have as of right now don't necessarily need CO2 but it makes them healthier and helps them to grow faster. My Java fern and Anubias probably shouldn't be planted but rather tied to a rock or some driftwood to establish itself. Is it the same for the dwarf hairgrass? As for fertilizers, I should probably buy dry fertilizer instead of the liquid plant food, and I probably need better lighting. Oh, and the air pump isn't going to be necessary! :) There was more said than that, but am I missing anything important?

Again, thank you for all of the help!

All correct VulpuixScyther, just mind, that dwarf hairgrass (Eleocharis Parvula) needs to be planted in fine gravel or sand and stronger light, Java fern and Anubias - driftwood fixed (regular/lower light is ok). Fertilizer: well... it depends. If fish will provide enough of macro nutrients (N and P), you'll need to add just K (in compound of KH2SO4 e.g.) and occasionaly micro nutrients (Fe, B, Cu, Mn, Mo,...). If less fish (less macro), you'll need to add some N to the water (KNO3 or even K2PO4, but with these elemens/fertilizers be veeery careful, it may wake up green algae or BGA in your tank!).

In aquarium big is batter because big amount water is easy to mantan . freshwater is good for new starter.

Sent from my Micromax A177 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom