Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2015, 03:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

60 Gallon and Questions

I just got this 60 gallon tall tank! I'm super excited to get started but I could use a few pointers on how I should do that, exactly. This is sort of the first true aquarium that I've owned, so I'm really inexperienced. My biggest question is, is it better to start out right off the bat with the kind of tank I want, which is a salt water tank, or if I should start out with a fresh water to get the hang of it all and build my way up to a salt water.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426141880.041049.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	267022

That's my tank!! ^_^

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-14-2015, 12:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't know anything about salt water but that's a beautiful tank!!! Way to go!!

May the force be with you.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you! ^_^ I decided to go for freshwater since it's less expensive. I just put sand in it, filled it with water, and started my filter up so my cycling process is rolling!!! I can't wait to get some greenery in there! I'm gonna go for some low tech plants and kind of a ship wreck/ pirate theme. I'm soooo excited!

Old 03-17-2015, 05:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have a 60 gallon tall tank too... And it is my 1st tank, i started about 6 months ago . seems like a long time you will make mistakes but it can all be fixed. And everyone advice should be taken differently what works for someone else might not work for you. I bought the freshwater fish tank for dummies book to help me and this forum board helped me alot. I would say make your tank look real i added two houses and i had a water breathing dragon i took it out because it made my tank look kidish. real plants or better i caught a 4 year old amazon sword for 20 bucks at my lfs. and added a few more plants looks alot better. Also get fish you like. i did it wrong but my fish are good. i have like 14 different types of tiger barbs 1 electric blue cichlid 1 angelfish 2 denison barbs and 1 rainbow shark. all bad combo but this group been living with each other for months i had casualities from ick 2 barbs got to fighting both got killed by the same fish and i overfed 4 fish and they died.. but i learned and spent money ... so good luck

60 gallon Freshwater tank... Planted featuring 10 Tiger Barbs 3 Denison Barbs 1 Rainbow Shark 1 Angelfish 1 Red neon guppy
Old 03-17-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

IMO: VS, if you are a newbie in Aquaristic, I'd recommend you freshwater (common tank with plants and fish) definitely! After some years of experience you'll see...
Old 03-17-2015, 07:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome we are glad to have you.

This link should help clear up any questions you might have about cycling and walk you through it.

Articles to Help you Get Started with your Aquarium

What kind of fish are you looking at getting? If you want plants in guessing not most cichlids. An angel pair would look great in a tall tank like that.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 03-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Awesome! Thank you! I'm going for a freshwater low tech planted aquarium. Unfortunately the pH in my tank right now is at 8.4! I've heard peat moss and drift wood will lower it so I'm going to try that. I'd rather not add more chemicals to my water. My ammonia is at 0.25, nitrites are at 0, and my Nitrates are also at 0. I'm assuming the cycle is just starting. I have a minnow that survived a nasty mistake on my part. Ironically, his name is Gimpy. I put him in the 60 gallon for a little while XD he loved the space. But he had to go back in the 10 gallon since the water parameters are slightly better.
(pH is still 8.4 but I guess he's adjusted).

Old 03-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If he's not all that important to you, you could use him for a Fish-In cycle and just get him some friends to help keep the ammonia flowing.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 03-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

How about water at input? Is it the same alkalic? And how about aquarium (substrate, any white stones, see shells,...)??
Old 03-18-2015, 12:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

The tap water that I use also has the same pH. I was told that spring water helps! My aquarium currently has a java fern, a small section of dwarf hairgrass, anubias nana, and two hides from my old tank. As for substrate I have two different grain sizes of black diamond blasting sand. I have an inch of bigger grains on the bottom and them another inch of really soft, fine sand on the top. I had this minnow in my 10 gallon named Gimpy and took ImACoolGuy's advice and decided to buy him a couple of friends so now I also have three Rosy Red Minnows swimming around in there. I got the plants and the two other minnows today.

Tags
60 gallon, gallon, question, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com