60 Gallon and Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VulpuixScyther

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got this 60 gallon tall tank! I'm super excited to get started but I could use a few pointers on how I should do that, exactly. This is sort of the first true aquarium that I've owned, so I'm really inexperienced. My biggest question is, is it better to start out right off the bat with the kind of tank I want, which is a salt water tank, or if I should start out with a fresh water to get the hang of it all and build my way up to a salt water.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426141880.041049.jpg

That's my tank!! ^_^

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you! ^_^ I decided to go for freshwater since it's less expensive. I just put sand in it, filled it with water, and started my filter up so my cycling process is rolling!!! I can't wait to get some greenery in there! I'm gonna go for some low tech plants and kind of a ship wreck/ pirate theme. I'm soooo excited!

I have a 60 gallon tall tank too... And it is my 1st tank, i started about 6 months ago . seems like a long time you will make mistakes but it can all be fixed. And everyone advice should be taken differently what works for someone else might not work for you. I bought the freshwater fish tank for dummies book to help me and this forum board helped me alot. I would say make your tank look real i added two houses and i had a water breathing dragon i took it out because it made my tank look kidish. real plants or better i caught a 4 year old amazon sword for 20 bucks at my lfs. and added a few more plants looks alot better. Also get fish you like. i did it wrong but my fish are good. i have like 14 different types of tiger barbs 1 electric blue cichlid 1 angelfish 2 denison barbs and 1 rainbow shark. all bad combo but this group been living with each other for months i had casualities from ick 2 barbs got to fighting both got killed by the same fish and i overfed 4 fish and they died.. but i learned and spent money ... so good luck

60 gallon Freshwater tank... Planted featuring 10 Tiger Barbs 3 Denison Barbs 1 Rainbow Shark 1 Angelfish 1 Red neon guppy

IMO: VS, if you are a newbie in Aquaristic, I'd recommend you freshwater (common tank with plants and fish) definitely! After some years of experience you'll see... :wink:

Awesome! Thank you! I'm going for a freshwater low tech planted aquarium. Unfortunately the pH in my tank right now is at 8.4! I've heard peat moss and drift wood will lower it so I'm going to try that. I'd rather not add more chemicals to my water. My ammonia is at 0.25, nitrites are at 0, and my Nitrates are also at 0. I'm assuming the cycle is just starting. I have a minnow that survived a nasty mistake on my part. Ironically, his name is Gimpy. I put him in the 60 gallon for a little while XD he loved the space. But he had to go back in the 10 gallon since the water parameters are slightly better.
(pH is still 8.4 but I guess he's adjusted).

If he's not all that important to you, you could use him for a Fish-In cycle and just get him some friends to help keep the ammonia flowing.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

How about water at input? Is it the same alkalic? And how about aquarium (substrate, any white stones, see shells,...)??

The tap water that I use also has the same pH. I was told that spring water helps! My aquarium currently has a java fern, a small section of dwarf hairgrass, anubias nana, and two hides from my old tank. As for substrate I have two different grain sizes of black diamond blasting sand. I have an inch of bigger grains on the bottom and them another inch of really soft, fine sand on the top. I had this minnow in my 10 gallon named Gimpy and took ImACoolGuy's advice and decided to buy him a couple of friends so now I also have three Rosy Red Minnows swimming around in there. I got the plants and the two other minnows today.

Ok, then I'd recommend you to start up CO2-set - good fo plants health and for lowering Ph in a tank.

I guess it's a good thing I bought the CO2 then huh? :)

Ok, then I'd recommend you to start up CO2-set - good fo plants health and for lowering Ph in a tank.

Seeing as you don't have a lot of plants I would tread carefully. You could have a lack of oxygen really fast if your plants can't keep up. A co2 regulator on the tank will help make sure this doesn't happen and they go for a few bucks on Amazon.

What "co2 system" do you have?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Sure, Caleb, but if you have a good set (pure CO2, not bio), with
bubble counter,
CO2-diffuser,
electro-magnetic valve,
needle-valve (+ manometer),
digital timer
and/or even pH-meter (ideal, but not essential, too expensive for my view),
you don't need to worry about any lack of oxygen at all! :wink:

I've got a 2kg CO2 cylinder from local seller, digital timer keeps it on (electro-magnetic valve) only at times when light is on.

Current rate is set on 60 bubbles per min (VulpuixScyther can start at 30). and it lasts about half a year. Then I refill a cyilinder at 5€ and can bubble again another half a year... :whistle:

pH is at 7.0 +-0.2, kH between 6-8'. By evenings (when light is on), it's is a great view on bubbling plants in a tank (growing and producing oxygen for fish). Disadvantage: NO3 is near 0, because of higher plants consumption (and less fish), so I add KNO3 (daily) and Iron (weekly) from my PMDD-pack. I'm glad, it works at not too much money and plants (and fish) seem healthy ... :wink:

Sure, Caleb, but if you have a good set (pure CO2, not bio), with
bubble counter,
CO2-diffuser,
electro-magnetic valve,
needle-valve (+ manometer),
digital timer
and/or even pH-meter (ideal, but not essential, too expensive for my view),
you don't need to worry about any lack of oxygen at all! :wink:

I've got a 2kg CO2 cylinder from local seller, digital timer keeps it on (electro-magnetic valve) only at times when light is on.

Current rate is set on 60 bubbles per min (VulpuixScyther can start at 30). and it lasts about half a year. Then I refill a cyilinder at 5€ and can bubble again another half a year... :whistle:

pH is at 7.0 +-0.2, kH between 6-8'. By evenings (when light is on), it's is a great view on bubbling plants in a tank (growing and producing oxygen for fish). Disadvantage: NO3 is near 0, because of higher plants consumption (and less fish), so I add KNO3 (daily) and Iron (weekly) from my PMDD-pack. I'm glad, it works at not too much money and plants (and fish) seem healthy ... :wink:

I was trying not to go into a ton of detail for the sake of our new-to-planted aquarist. :p I have a pressurized paintball co2 system myself. I was referring to paying attention the the calibration so as your not putting out too much co2. On my system one half turn can mean 3bps or 100bps... That happened one time my cat got into my stand and knocked it over and it turned it way up. Came home to suffocating fish and a blasting co2 system.

Just raising awareness is all :)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I agree with you Caleb, it's good for the beginners to understand all the risks. IMO: your problem should be fully solved by adding a needle valve (with mano) at a bottle, if technically possible. Cheers! :wink:

I agree with you Caleb, it's good for the beginners to understand all the risks. IMO: your problem should be fully solved by adding a needle valve (with mano) at a bottle, if technically possible. Cheers! :wink:

I'll have to check on that for a co2 system. And OP, unless you have a lot of plants or high need plants (baby tears for example) you really don't need co2. Ferts will be sufficient. Co2 is just an added bonus.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Caleb, you know for sure, there are many plant species which require CO2 essentialy (often redisch or yellow colour of leaves). I admit, it's not VulpuixScyther's case. But besides helping to grow the plants (good when cycling new aqua too), it helps to lower pH (CO2 + H2O → H2CO3}. The main and only Con I can see here, is the price (extra costs when setting up a new aquarium).

Caleb, you know for sure, there are many plant species which require CO2 essentialy (often redisch or yellow colour of leaves). I admit, it's not VulpuixScyther's case. But besides helping to grow the plants (good when cycling new aqua too), it helps to lower pH (CO2 + H2O → H2CO3}. The main and only Con I can see here, is the price (extra costs when setting up a new aquarium).

Until you get into high lighting plants there's only a few that actually "Require" co2 to thrive. All low light plants and some medium will thrive with good lighting and fertilization. Co2 injection just helps those lower light plants grow faster and better but it is not essential to their survival.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I bought some liquid co2. I don't really have a system.

My tank water was a little cloudy when I put the plants in, but now it's all cleared up.

I tried to get some hardy plants and I'm planning on buying quite a few more. I want to try and get as many in there as my budget will allow.

It's only been one day but the minnows seem to be doing just fine but I know it'll take a few weeks before I know for sure these plants will live in the environment I have them in and if the minnows will be okay. I have a back up tank just in case I see something going wrong.

I have a 70 gallon filter in there now and I plan on buying another one. I just need to buy a heater, and an air pump.

To be honest, all of the conversation above went right over my head! I have no idea what you all are talking about. :b

Back
Top Bottom