Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaRyno View Post
Anyone got any plants/stuff in with their discus they swear by?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Jungle Val. Usually looks really good. Especially with the contrast of discus' colors


Rockyofhockey _/.\_
__________________

__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:04 PM   #12
member

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lawrence, Ks
Posts: 3,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyofhockey View Post
Jungle Val. Usually looks really good. Especially with the contrast of discus' colors


Rockyofhockey _/.\_
I definately have an outbreak of val in my angel tanks. Good suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
PoppaRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #13
member

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lawrence, Ks
Posts: 3,907
Love input. I wanna make this interactive-ish. Think that would be fun.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
PoppaRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rockyofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaRyno View Post
I definately have an outbreak of val in my angel tanks. Good suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anytime. I would just plant a "wall" of it along the back glass


Rockyofhockey _/.\_
__________________
rockyofhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:18 PM   #15
member

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lawrence, Ks
Posts: 3,907
Ok. Back and feeling good. So now i think its time to empty it out to just the substrate.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
PoppaRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #16
member

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lawrence, Ks
Posts: 3,907
So i was starting to empty out the tank and noticed the lil BN plecos had hatched, and wiggling around the cave. So im grabbing it as we speak and sticking them and dad in a breeder box. Cool

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
PoppaRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
sinibotia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Central Maine
Posts: 3,904
Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
I would love to input but frankly I'm a student in this thread, I'm legit taking notes for my own project lol. I'm considering this "Discus breeding tank setup 101".

I've got a 6 foot/125 gallon for my discus to grow up in and then a couple of 55s that I can move any pairs into. I'm gonna try to model those 55's after what you're doing here. Especially since your build is specifically for breeding, and I know you know your stuff.

So do you think live plants and substrate are best, rather than bare bottom or just substrate? In my 125 growout I've got gravel (which I hate but I'm stuck with; might cover it with sand), two small pieces of driftwood, and a big PVC pipe. With such a tight budget and a scientific focus I can only add things that will significantly improve the fish's condition and thus better results. Do you think it'd make a worthwhile difference?
__________________
Got a question about loaches? Ask me!
Loach count: 22
Baby fish count: 12 (multis)
sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #18
member

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lawrence, Ks
Posts: 3,907
Look at the lil guys! No clue how many are in there. They are in a large breeder box now w/ some hornwort to give them a feeling of cover. Lol, the things you find when not expecting to.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
PoppaRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #19
member

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lawrence, Ks
Posts: 3,907
So im trying to upload image. Its telling me to log in to upload image. Im already logged in though.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
PoppaRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:58 PM   #20
member

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lawrence, Ks
Posts: 3,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinibotia View Post
I would love to input but frankly I'm a student in this thread, I'm legit taking notes for my own project lol. I'm considering this "Discus breeding tank setup 101".

I've got a 6 foot/125 gallon for my discus to grow up in and then a couple of 55s that I can move any pairs into. I'm gonna try to model those 55's after what you're doing here. Especially since your build is specifically for breeding, and I know you know your stuff.

So do you think live plants and substrate are best, rather than bare bottom or just substrate? In my 125 growout I've got gravel (which I hate but I'm stuck with; might cover it with sand), two small pieces of driftwood, and a big PVC pipe. With such a tight budget and a scientific focus I can only add things that will significantly improve the fish's condition and thus better results. Do you think it'd make a worthwhile difference?
I always do substrate and plants. But its not the norm for many breeders. Most i know keep pairs in a bare bottom 29-40 gal with a breeding cone. I could do this, but my goal as a fish keeper is to have them breed in the most natural setting as possible. I think it helps keep the parents happy. and less stress on them the better for me. I also dont do this for money. Its nice to make some fir water bills etc... but not why im in this at all. I say that because alot of breeders are. They will keep pairs like work horses in bare tanks for yrs. Shortening their life span, growth, and overall happiness as a fish.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
PoppaRyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
api, breed, breeding, build, cap, discus, rebuild, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 65gal reef tank Djsilentchild Members Saltwater Tanks Showcase 1 01-13-2013 12:45 PM
1 yr old 65gal tank problems! Chaysedot Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 1 05-06-2012 11:23 PM
65gal Reef Tank kay-bee19 Members Saltwater Tanks Showcase 18 07-30-2011 01:10 PM
How many fish and what size can I put in my 65gal. tank. SeriousDude5 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 2 12-30-2004 12:19 AM
My 65gal Stand project djsadias DIY Projects 4 03-01-2004 02:45 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.