65gal discus breeding tank rebuild/rescaping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dannnng.... they really helped you out with the budget didnt they! (Sarcasm obviously). Man let me do some wheelin and dealing and maybe i can get you an unproven male female around 5" of the red eagles when i get mine. We can bundle shipping, have them sent here. Then ill overnight yours to you. Or even better, ill buy 2 pairs, if i can wheel n deal enough, and send em for free. That way you dont have to put any $ on the line til i ship to you. Ill talk to my guy tomorrow. Im on a mission to get you sone adult symphosodon.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dont get too excited yet though. I dont want to let you down if i cant pull it off.

Also, sini, heres pics of the lil weddin presents. They are growing every day.

Dannnng.... they really helped you out with the budget didnt they! (Sarcasm obviously). Man let me do some wheelin and dealing and maybe i can get you an unproven male female around 5" of the red eagles when i get mine. We can bundle shipping, have them sent here. Then ill overnight yours to you. Or even better, ill buy 2 pairs, if i can wheel n deal enough, and send em for free. That way you dont have to put any $ on the line til i ship to you. Ill talk to my guy tomorrow. Im on a mission to get you sone adult symphosodon.

It's an undergraduate thesis and I've gotta save some money for the actual experiments! Most undergraduates don't take on expensive delicate fish like discus, they do things with penny-for-a-dozen zebra danios, or bacteria, or they just take data other people found and analyze it. Really I'm the one who screwed myself with the budget by choosing discus as research subjects lol

Forgot pics

Attachments

• 1430198847216.jpg
    1430198847216.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 1430198863705.jpg
    1430198863705.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 1430198881549.jpg
    1430198881549.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 74
Heres the red eagles im looking at. And no they are not checkerboard pigeon bloods. Red eagles have a deeper red, hence the name.

Attachments

• 1430199321135.jpg
    1430199321135.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 1430199331841.jpg
    1430199331841.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 1430199345449.jpg
    1430199345449.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 30
  • 1430199354529.jpg
    1430199354529.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 31
They're so adorable! Went back and looked at the older pics, they really are growing fast

Bad pics, sorry. Havin trouble holdin still. Pain pills, self medicating, and a taking pics with only 1 hand.... roflmao

Those are some gorgeous looking fish. Ideally we're looking for more wildtype since I've read that fry don't seem to recognize the adults that are mostly red. Any idea if that's likely with this strain?

Batch they laid yesterday. Im gonna do nothing with this batch and observe their parenting. Abt 15% eggs have fungused so far. Not bad.

Attachments

• 1430199768454.jpg
    1430199768454.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 1430199782552.jpg
    1430199782552.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 88
Those are some gorgeous looking fish. Ideally we're looking for more wildtype since I've read that fry don't seem to recognize the adults that are mostly red. Any idea if that's likely with this strain?

Ive never had/seen that in my discus. Red melons, super red whites, mandarin passions, pigeon bloods. All the fry from them have had no troubles finding parents for me. I have seen this, though, in albino, whites, platinums, etc.... i have no foundation for this ither than my own observations, but i think the lack of color makes it harder for them to find.

Ok, so it's the whites and not the reds that are a problem. Interesting.

I'll have to talk to my advisor about our budget tomorrow. We may not even have available budget until June because of how these things work out.

But he did tell me he has a fairly hard to find group of curipera wilds. Heres pics. And if you find wild types that can fit your budget, lemme know. Id be in for a dozen.

Attachments

• 1430200307879.jpg
    1430200307879.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 1430200359912.jpg
    1430200359912.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 1430200369711.jpg
    1430200369711.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 1430200380179.jpg
    1430200380179.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 34
But he did tell me he has a fairly hard to find group of curipera wilds. Heres pics. And if you find wild types that can fit your budget, lemme know. Id be in for a dozen.

I didn't mean pure wild types, just closer in coloration to wild types. No way we could afford that :lol:

Ok, so it's the whites and not the reds that are a problem. Interesting.

I'll have to talk to my advisor about our budget tomorrow. We may not even have available budget until June because of how these things work out.
Ok, well if i order them. I can send them your way and just figure payment out later. I cant tell you how awsone the research your doing is. If to nobody else, know that to me, doing this is nothing compared to what you can do for our passion of symphosodon . Just furthering my cause, your cause, and makin a good new friend never hurt either. Its been rather nice having someone to nerd out with. So thank you sir

Ok, well if i order them. I can send them your way and just figure payment out later. I cant tell you how awsone the research your doing is. If to nobody else, know that to me, doing this is nothing compared to what you can do for our passion of symphosodon . Just furthering my cause, your cause, and makin a good new friend never hurt either. Its been rather nice having someone to nerd out with. So thank you sir

I'm glad you really appreciate this research! Honestly, I'm really excited myself just to have the chance to keep these guys. My mom never liked them growing up, and she had veto power over my stocking plans, so i never got a chance to try them but I've always wanted to. Now I don't have the space or the money so this project is probably going to be my only chance for years to keep these awesome fish. It's fantastic to learn about them. Especially because of how far science is behind the aquarists on this one. I've learned more about discus from you and people like you than from all the papers I read. Hopefully I can throw a little bit of knowledge into the pool, maybe even something immediately useful. And considering how few people keep fish locally here any fishkeeping friend is invaluable. Thanks again for all the support with this stuff, not just the fish but especially the information!

So far, nothing. They still have tubes extended. Females gettin a lil darker every day. PH - 6.8, ammo-0, everythings checkin out ok. Theyre happy and active as can be. Lots of dancing and rubbing from the male. Im gonna do a 30% PWC this evening andvadd some micro nutrients suited for discus when i put water back in.

No worries. Im still hurtin from monday, so im not gettin much done.

The tanins from the new wood are leeching out a lil. Its given the water a tea like quality. Stil 86f. Still waiting for them.

Back
Top Bottom