A couple of new African river fish in my collection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fruitbat

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just picked up a few new African river dwellers for my collection.

First of all....an apology for the picture quality but the fish are still in their bags acclimating to their new homes. I'll post better pictures later.

The first are a couple of small Dwarf Giraffe Catfish (Anaspidoglanis macrostoma). These are about 3 inches long at this point...on their way to 10 inches or so.

pmacrostoma3s.jpg

pmacrostoma1s.jpg

The second fish is the Torpedo Mormyrid (Oxymormyrus boulengeri). This is a young, wild-caught individual and is a bit tattered but the fins will heal up nicely and the color will darken quite a bit. One of the more unusual of the 'Elephant Nose' fish, this one is about 5 inches or so and will eventually reach about a foot in length.

oboulengeri1s.jpg

-Joe

oh haha i thought the plastic bag was like water and the fish was jumping out and stuff... lol

really cool fish!

Anaspidoglanis macrostoma was fairly commonly available about 30 years ago but I haven't seen them at all since the mid-1970s (and believe me....I've been looking!). I've never seen Oxymormyrus boulengeri for sale before. My favorite importer, Toyin at Rehoboth Aquatics got these in at my request and then my favorite LFS got them in from him (and saved me a bundle on shipping).

-Joe

Nice catches....always wanted to seriously do some Momys, but never had a tank to dedicate to them....for someone with fewer tanks than I, I can't figure out where you put them all....course, I do have bettas and things :p

Toirtis....

The Oxymormyrus boulengeri is in a 20 gallon Long grow-out tank with my smaller bichirs and the two Anaspidoglanis macrostoma are in a 20 gallon Long grow-out tank with my Papyrocranus afer and Phago loricatus. More tanks (and larger ones) are definitely in my immediate future! :D

-Joe

Back
Top Bottom