Adding a new filter to my established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to bring it back on topic, to the OP, you could use some of the media from any of your established filters. This will kick start your new filter and dramatically reduce the time it's needs to grow some BB. Some BB will transfer from the old media......

Does the quick start stuff actually work? Like, does it contain bb or does it help bb grow faster?

Does the quick start stuff actually work? Like, does it contain bb or does it help bb grow faster?
From what I've read, it's hit and miss. Some people swear by it, others doubt it's benefits. I did read somewhere that if it's real BB you want, it must be stored in a fridge, is expensive and has quite a short shelf life. If that's the case, i'm sure it wouldn't appeal to many LFS's to stock it.....

From what I've read, it's hit and miss. Some people swear by it, others doubt it's benefits. I did read somewhere that if it's real BB you want, it must be stored in a fridge, is expensive and has quite a short shelf life. If that's the case, i'm sure it wouldn't appeal to many LFS's to stock it.....

Yeah, I don't really trust those starter things and ( IMO ) its a waste of money. Just wanted to see what you thought. :)

Personally, I have never used it and never will. I'll stick with the tried and trusted method. Grow your own...haha

It sometimes does and sometimes doesnt
I used it For my planted tank it did and it cycled the tank in 6 days but then when I tried it for my cichlid tank it didn't and my cichlid tank took 47 days to cycle so it really varys

It sometimes does and sometimes doesnt
I used it For my planted tank it did and it cycled the tank in 6 days but then when I tried it for my cichlid tank it didn't and my cichlid tank took 47 days to cycle so it really varys

That's a very big difference! Phew! 6 days - 47 days.
I don't think I'm gonna get that stuff...... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom