Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Adding a new filter to my established tank

So I'm wanting to buy a canister filter for my established 40 gallon. The tank has been running for around 3 months, has 2 internal filters and a hang on the back filtre already in it and has 6 African cichlids in it. But the filters are still not keeping up and the tank gets cloudy and dirty after after a day. i do w/c 2 times a week. I was wondering how I would go about adding the new filter. Do I have to remove the fish or can I keep them in? I am planning on taking the two internal filters out eventually. Thanks for your help

Old 07-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
What canister are you getting? When the filter gets there, set it up and get it running. But keep the hobs running until canister gets bb.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post
What canister are you getting? When the filter gets there, set it up and get it running. But keep the hobs running until canister gets bb.
Ill be getting the Aqua One Nautilus 1100, unfortunalty I can't get my hands on a fluval or eheim without paying $350+ because I live in Australia and their had to come by where I live... And I was planning to leave the old filters in for 2 months then take them out
Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydesilva View Post
Ill be getting the Aqua One Nautilus 1100, unfortunalty I can't get my hands on a fluval or eheim without paying $350+ because I live in Australia and their had to come by where I live... And I was planning to leave the old filters in for 2 months then take them out
Can you get your hands on a rena for less than $300? Leaving them in for 2 months sounds good though after one month, the canister should have enough bb.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If that's the case with filter expense, you might as well buid a sump! But +1 for a Rena as well.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:

Can you get your hands on a rena for less than $300? Leaving them in for 2 months sounds good though after one month, the canister should have enough bb.
Ill go and see if they have it at the lfs tomorrow, however the aqua one actually really good I have one on my 125gallon planted tank and its awesome, plus it's only 125$$ so not to bad for money... Compared to other filters here at least ahaha
Old 07-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydesilva View Post

Ill go and see if they have it at the lfs tomorrow, however the aqua one actually really good I have one on my 125gallon planted tank and its awesome, plus it's only 125$$ so not to bad for money... Compared to other filters here at least ahaha
Rena here are around the same price too ( for the xl/xp3 ). I've never heard of the aqua one though. Have any pics of it?

Old 07-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post
If that's the case with filter expense, you might as well buid a sump! But +1 for a Rena as well.
You can't build a sump with less than $200. His aqua one only cost $125. But sumps are really good filter I gotta admit.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:

You can't build a sump with less than $200. His aqua one only cost $125. But sumps are really good filter I gotta admit.
Here is the filter
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2013, 03:45 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Yeah I guess your right. I think I was just leaning towards the fact that if a common filter cost that much you might as well spend the dough on a sump.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com