Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
roydesilva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 171
Adding a new filter to my established tank

So I'm wanting to buy a canister filter for my established 40 gallon. The tank has been running for around 3 months, has 2 internal filters and a hang on the back filtre already in it and has 6 African cichlids in it. But the filters are still not keeping up and the tank gets cloudy and dirty after after a day. i do w/c 2 times a week. I was wondering how I would go about adding the new filter. Do I have to remove the fish or can I keep them in? I am planning on taking the two internal filters out eventually. Thanks for your help
__________________

__________________
roydesilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
What canister are you getting? When the filter gets there, set it up and get it running. But keep the hobs running until canister gets bb.
__________________

__________________
It wasn’t until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
roydesilva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post
What canister are you getting? When the filter gets there, set it up and get it running. But keep the hobs running until canister gets bb.
Ill be getting the Aqua One Nautilus 1100, unfortunalty I can't get my hands on a fluval or eheim without paying $350+ because I live in Australia and their had to come by where I live... And I was planning to leave the old filters in for 2 months then take them out
__________________
roydesilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydesilva View Post
Ill be getting the Aqua One Nautilus 1100, unfortunalty I can't get my hands on a fluval or eheim without paying $350+ because I live in Australia and their had to come by where I live... And I was planning to leave the old filters in for 2 months then take them out
Can you get your hands on a rena for less than $300? Leaving them in for 2 months sounds good though after one month, the canister should have enough bb.
__________________
FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
If that's the case with filter expense, you might as well buid a sump! But +1 for a Rena as well.
__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
roydesilva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post

Can you get your hands on a rena for less than $300? Leaving them in for 2 months sounds good though after one month, the canister should have enough bb.
Ill go and see if they have it at the lfs tomorrow, however the aqua one actually really good I have one on my 125gallon planted tank and its awesome, plus it's only 125$$ so not to bad for money... Compared to other filters here at least ahaha
__________________
roydesilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydesilva View Post

Ill go and see if they have it at the lfs tomorrow, however the aqua one actually really good I have one on my 125gallon planted tank and its awesome, plus it's only 125$$ so not to bad for money... Compared to other filters here at least ahaha
Rena here are around the same price too ( for the xl/xp3 ). I've never heard of the aqua one though. Have any pics of it?
__________________
It wasn’t until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post
If that's the case with filter expense, you might as well buid a sump! But +1 for a Rena as well.
You can't build a sump with less than $200. His aqua one only cost $125. But sumps are really good filter I gotta admit.
__________________
It wasn’t until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
roydesilva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post

You can't build a sump with less than $200. His aqua one only cost $125. But sumps are really good filter I gotta admit.
Here is the filter
Attached Images
  
__________________
roydesilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:45 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post

You can't build a sump with less than $200. His aqua one only cost $125. But sumps are really good filter I gotta admit.
Yeah I guess your right. I think I was just leaning towards the fact that if a common filter cost that much you might as well spend the dough on a sump.
__________________

__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.