Adding plants & driftwood!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovin Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I tossed the fake plants, and am starting to add live plants to my 30 gallon! Yippee! It's a loooooong ways from finished, but it's gotta start somewhere! I added some driftwood too and anchored the plants to it. The driftwood is "a floater" so it's held down with some rocks for the time being. I can't wait until my tall order of plants arrives to the LFS, hopefully next week! :)
ps
Don't mind the algae on the glass. I have been letting it "grow out" since my pleco jumped the tank 3 weeks ago and I haven't decided what type of algae eater I want to add. Yesterday I moved our juvenile spotted sailfin (only temporary) to the tank so he can enjoy some "glass walking".

DSC01540.JPG

Above you can see my 3" Kribensis expolring a "new house" opportunity. He LOVES the entrance under the driftwood :)
Below you can see my 3.8" "glass walker" goin to town!
DSC01571.JPG
DSC01581.JPG
DSC01567.JPG

Last edited:
Lovin Fish said:
Thanks :) I need to post pictures of the tank glass now...he had it whipped in to shape in under 3 hours!!! The entire tank! It's beautiful again!

He is going to get huge at this rate!

Oddly enough, most algae eaters don't eat the kind of algae that grows on the side of the glass. They actually will eat algae that is invisible to the eye. Just a thought :)

Is that fishing line or sewing thread you are using to tie down your plants?

Oddly enough, most algae eaters don't eat the kind of algae that grows on the side of the glass. They actually will eat algae that is invisible to the eye. Just a thought :)

Really??? Wow! We have been lucky then! Both of our plecos love glass walking ;) They also get wafers at night and some veggies. Actually this little guy is a garbage disposal LOL! He eats EVERYTHING! When all the other fish come out to eat, he moves behind them sucking up any left over flakes so I don't have anything to clean up!

Here's a picture of what the tank looks like today. Please excuse the right side:oops:...my bulb blew out and I couldn't find a replacement bulb locally. Waiting for a new fixture entirely actually!

DSC01597.JPG
DSC01618.JPG

Last edited:
Really??? Wow! We have been lucky then! Both of our plecos love glass walking ;) They also get wafers at night and some veggies. Actually this little guy is a garbage disposal LOL! He eats EVERYTHING! When all the other fish come out to eat, he moves behind them sucking up any left over flakes so I don't have anything to clean up!

Yah it is true. They do really eat everything! haha

I used cotton sewing thread. I had read that it will dissolve as the roots grab onto the driftwood. I like that!

Thanks I have some plants to get and I am sure I will need to tie them down as well. Thanks.. Tank looks good

Thanks I have some plants to get and I am sure I will need to tie them down as well. Thanks.. Tank looks good

I would reccomend you use thick thread or fishing line. I just had to re-do mine because all my plants were floating! The thread was too thin I guess...it seemed to disinegrate pretty quickly, combined with the sailfin cruising throught the tunnel it just came apart.

I retied everything with fishing line this time. It will hold for sure LOL!

Thanks will do. I have some 4 pound fishing line I could use. With the fish that I have I dont know how long the plants will last, but I really like real plants...

Back
Top Bottom